Chapter Three

Luna had held true to her promise and woke Ventura up bright and early in time for breakfast.

Ventura was accustomed to getting up with the sun, but even that still snoozed as the inky black of night was penetrated by the students lighting candles. She closed her eyes stubbornly, pleading in her head with unknown forces to grant her at least another half hour of sleep.

But yet she got up, it was hard not to with Luna's encouraging and words of motivation.

"If you don't wake up, you'll starve."

That certainly surprised Ventura.

The room was soon light up by the girls getting ready. In there room, Ventura found, were Cho Chang and Padma Patil.

She only discovered their names because they stared at her while she sat it the shared vanity and combed out her hair. It was as if a dog had just gotten up and began speaking and putting on a suit- Ventura was certainly not a happy camper in the morning, while she had done a good job biting her tongue she spat out a low "Can I help you?".

"I'm sorry, Ive just..." Cho began but her words trailed off as she rummaged through her mental dictionary under the section politeness.

"We've never seen a true nomad." Padma finished. "Is it true you truly aced the placement test?"

Ventura cursed herself for blushing.

"Well, I suppose that's why I'm here."

"That you were the only one?"

"Yes."

"I thought there aren't schools out there, though?"

"Padma!" Cho rang out. Ventura pressed her lips together before her eyes shifted to herself in the mirror.

She did stick out like a sore thumb she supposed. Her skin was sun kissed and tan, a peculiarity here that would wear off she supposed. Her hair was wild and unkempt, even when she tan the brush through it the waves persisted and in some strands bushes up in a frizzy mess.

The manicured looks of the girls made Ventura for once look at her reflection, more so in the ways she appeared unpolished- or more so untamed.

She was different to the girls, it was a feeling she had never quite got a true taste of. She was so used to being painfully normal, that she felt like her skin had just turned bright fuchsia.

"... you can't just ask people those types of things! It's quite rude of you!" Cho was hissing to Padma in a low voice as the girl defended her point.

"I suppose it's only fair for you to ask questions." The statement made both girls look up, their eyes soon filled with delight.

While they asked their questions without the shackles of politeness, Ventura began to run the brush through her hair in an attempt to smooth it down.
.
.
The mess hall was filled with more food than Ventura had seen in her life, save for the festivals such as the Yule, Mabon or Beltan- it was hard to believe the students lived with this much abundance every morning.

Ventura had been given a schedule, and just as the tests had been given to the illiterate- she could render no meaning of the classes.

She wandered the hall studying the first class- Charms 7:30 a.m to 8:45 a.m. Ventura raised her eyebrows as she saw Filius Flitwick taught the class, perhaps the schedule was like another password to the door. If you can't solve the riddle you don't get into the dorm or to class.

"Charms... charms... charms..." She repeated under her breath.

She regretted not comparing her schedule with the other Ravenclaw girls when given the chance...