4

From the windows came a refreshing flow of air, the sky was like a curtain of silk and the sunny rays sparkle and take on the lively shadows of the leaves.
You gently bring your cup of coffee up to your lips, sipping the hot liquid which somehow enlivens your senses and relaxes your breath after.
It'd been about three weeks since the last raid, soon another operation is scheduled to take place.
The sense of dread taints your mind, you decide to continue reading your book to somehow distract yourself from the reality upon you.
After about an hour you decide to leave.
You're finally visiting ward 20 again, everything about this place seemed so peaceful and tranquil.
Your mind is finally in a relaxed state. As you walk around the streets of the city you gently take in the freshly calm air with that hint of an earthly aroma, the fragrance of homeliness.

Right next to you is a bookstore, its ubiquitous presence intrigues you into going in, even though you already had a book in hand.
The inside of the shop is dark and small, but it had that vintage aesthetic that made everything so alluring and pleasant.
You could tell that the library was old with stacks of books towering towards the tall ceiling and even more covering every inch of the old shelves. By the looks of it, they'd all been sitting there for quite a while
You ran your fingers on the spine of each book and continue to just stare at the shelves and shelves of books before you.
After a minute you turn away, your eyes widen as someone familiar appears before your sight.

"what are you doing here" You say to kaneki after moments of the two of you awkwardly hesitating to greet each other.
"this is one of my favorite stores" The white haired boy replies.
"i didn't know you liked to read"
"reading calms my mind" You reply, the two of you are now standing outside the store and at this point both you and kaneki have absentmindedly agreed to take a stroll together.
"y/n, we've met before...haven't we" He remarked.
"we have, it's still a surprise to me that the nervous idiot i once met is the one and only eyepatch" You respond
"ah i suppose i have changed, i'm surprised too. I'd never imagine that the pretty girl i met at a coffee shop was a ghoul"
Kaneki continued, though his eyes widen at the end of his sentence as he realizes that he had revealed unnecessary details.
His cheeks couldn't help but blush with embarrassment, only making him feel worse.
"i-i didn't mean to say you're pretty- n-not that you aren't, i just...misspoke, my bad" Kaneki apologized with his arm awkwardly rubbing his neck.

You try to stifle your chuckle, letting only a soft smile rest upon your amused face.
"you fought well back there, though for a moment it seemed like you went completely insane" You joked while looking at him.
The two of you held your gazes on each other and refused to let go, staring deep into each others' eyes.
It was a feeling you were so unfamiliar yet already comfortable with.
"could say the same about you, at least you were born with all these abilities."
"what do you mean" You ask, curiosity written all over your face.
He looked reluctant, it seemed as though he wanted to say something truthful but ended up
choosing otherwise.
"it's nothing" He responded apologetically.

"you two, what are you up to"
The both of you turn your backs to see Ayato and Reo standing just a few feet behind.
"reo, here's your mask" You offer.
"oh thank you, i'd completely forgotten about it"
"hey is anyone planning on remaking their masks" Reo continues.
"what, why?" Both you and ayato fret.
"mine and y/n's look so alike, i wanna change it. Have my own signature look, get it?"
"what are you talking about you idiot, you were the one who insisted on making ours look identical" You respond.
"i know, i know. But i recently had a change of heart" Reo answers with a wide shameless grin on his face.
Both you and ayato stand there with your faces sagged with disinterest, kaneki on the other hand merely stood still and observed the whole situation.
"fine, i'll go" Ayato announces before looking at you and kaneki, waiting for your final decisions.
Kaneki then looks over to you as if he'd only come along if you did too.
"why not" You declare, forcing an insincere smile.
Kaneki's expression changes into an amused one. He lets out a pleased grin and follows everyone else as the group makes their way to the store.
He notices you being behind everyone else; whether it was intentional of you or not, he decides to slow down and waits for you to be by his side.

kaneki and y/n's bond is slowly but surely growing. hope you enjoyed it!!