SEVENTEEN: GRYFFINDORS R DUMB

KATIE PACED BACK AND FORTH in the Gryffindor Common Room, trying to figure out who could possibly be the two other Eidolons' prey.

Names whizzed past her head- Nico, Ron, Hermione, Draco. She decided not to put herself as an option, and when Travis' name was called out in her mind, she ignored the way her heart wavered in worry for him. This quest was important, and she wasn't going to let a dumb crush distract her, no matter how much she wanted it to.

However, despite her strong efforts, it felt impossible for her to guess who was next on the Eidolons' checklist. They had taken Harry, so that meant they wanted to claim important/powerful people, but there was plenty of that sort around here.

"You okay?" Hermione asked from the behind her, hugging her arms as if she felt cold in the warm common room. "You looked lost in your thoughts."

Katie managed to smile weakly. "I'm fine. You?"

"Everything's well," she replied, and the Daughter of Demeter found it kinda funny how they were both blatantly lying to one another. She pulled out her sword- a weapon she hadn't used in a long time now, considering how Hogwarts had an invisible border that protected them from monsters and all- and rested it in front of her.

Hermione cocked a brow. Her mind flashed back to the night of the Welcoming Feast, where her friends had judged Katie for owning a sword.

"This school isn't the safest place, Hermione, I'm sure you know that more than anyone," she said. "I'm not weak, I hope you know that. I'm not afraid of Eidolons."

"You know about them?"

"I might've eavesdropped on you in the library earlier today," Katie said sheepishly. She was aware that what she was doing was foolish and went completely against Percy's instructions, but she wanted to see if she could catch Hermione off-guard. She wanted to see if she could unleash the Eidolon that possibly hid within the witch, and she wanted to see if she could handle it.

She wanted to prove herself, in a way. Oh, Gryffindors.

"So you know that Harry is possessed?" she said. "Wait- how do I know you're not possessed?"

Katie frowned. "You can't really trust anyone here anymore. Harry's lucky that you found out what an Eidolon is. The others... not so much."

"The others?" Hermione repeated. Her eyes widened; whether in eagerness to know more or shock to have this news revealed to her, Katie didn't know. "Hold on, there's more of them?"

"Two more," she confirmed, nodding her head.

"Merlin," the Gryffindor witch sighed. She leaned against a wall and seemed to think for a moment. "And we thought this year was going to be normal."

Katie went to agree, before realising that she and Hermione hadn't exactly had the same lifestyle. What kind of strange things had she witnessed...?

Understanding the curious look that dawned on her face, Granger added, "A lot of magical beasts, dark wizards, enchanted plants, that stuff."

"Oh," she said. She wondered whether the Greek's mythological monsters and entities could compare to the Wizarding World's knick-knacks. "Well—"

Before Katie could finish her sentence, the loud presence of a certain redhead interrupted her.

"Hey, Katie, are you and Travis a thing?" Ginny said rather loudly, not caring that her other house mates could hear her perfectly fine.

"I—" The demigod cleared her throat, very much alarmed by the random question. "Um... no?"

"You hesitated too long, but whatever," the youngest Weasley said. She jumped over a couch and patted the seat next to her, inviting her two friends to sit down. Cheeks red and ears burning, Katie sat next to her. "I always assumed you guys were dating. Whatever the case, I saw Travis and Luna talking to each other in the corridors earlier. Thought you might want to know."

Katie bit the insides of her cheek. It was not her business to get involve with Travis' personal life, but she was glad Ginny had told her. There was, unfortunately, a part of her that cared about Travis and who he talked to. She didn't like to think that she was jealous of Luna- jealously was an ugly emotion she didn't want to own up to.

"It's probably nothing. But thanks, Ginny."

"You're very welcome, Gardner," she replied with in a fake American accent. Katie laughed.

"Why are you talking like that?"

"I'm copying you," she grinned.

"You sound like an American mocking a British accent, Gin," Hermione said, amused by her friends' antics.

Ginny crossed her arms. "You try, then,"

"I never said I could do an American accent!" Hermione struggled to hide her thick British accent. She nudged at Katie, who seemed to be having fun mocking them. "You try a British accent!"

"How would I imitate your accent if you're the first few British people I've talked to?" she said in a terrible British accent. Immediately after, she buried her face in her hands. "This is embarrassing."

Hermione and Ginny snickered. Each of them pulled up one of Katie's shoulders and made her face the front, and that was when she saw how many Gryffindors in the Common Room had been staring at them.

"Man, now I'm even more embarrassed!"