NINE: THE MOST INTIMIDATING HUFFLEPUFF

MUMBLES WISPED IN AND OUT OF THE STUDENT BODY'S MOUTHS as Percy Jackson was revealed to be a Hufflepuff.

"A Hufflepuff?" Ron questioned. "How can a Slytherin be friends with a Hufflepuff?"

"And not any Slytherin, too. I don't believe a Hufflepuff could be friends with Draco Malfoy. The boy's pure evil!" Ginny chimed in. "Maybe the Sorting Hat had too much Fire Whiskey."

"I'm not surprised," Ron snorted, continuing the joke. "Its older than old. Must've turned sixteen ages ago!"

"Yeah, the Sorting Hat's ancient!" Harry snickered, his eyes crinkling as he did so.

Ginny made a face. "That makes me think... that hat is like, decades old. And we've all worn it."

"That is a little bit unhygienic," Hermione agreed. Then she thought about it for longer and added, "Ew. Gross."

"Isn't it?" Ginny said. She swiped at the top of her head to get rid of any germs that could've come from the Sorting Hat, momentarily forgetting that she had been sorted six years ago.

"Maybe that's why you've got dandruff," Ron teased. Ginny smacked him.

"Ow! Why am I always the one who gets hit?"

"Because I don't say anything stupid," Harry smirked. Ginny stifled a laughed and asked him, "Hey, what's your name? Say it aloud."

"Harry Potter?"

Ginny slapped him upside the head. "There you go. You've said something stupid."

Harry sulked. "Nevermind, Ron. We're both bullied."

When Percy arrived at the Hufflepuff Table, many of the freshly-sorted first-years scuttled away. The Son of Poseidon sighed, not understanding why the little ones would find him so scary. Percy simply could not process his own intimidation.

Not wanting to cause discomfort amongst the Hufflepuffs, Percy found the only person who seemed more annoyed than awed at his existence, and sat next to him.

"Um, hi," he said. He didn't know if he should introduce himself, for the Sorting Hat had already done so five minutes prior. "I'm Percy—"

"— Jackson, yeah, yeah, I know," finished the boy who looked about seventeen. "I'm Ernie MacMillan. This is Hannah, Justin and Zacharias."

"Hi," Hannah and Justin said politely, but Zacharias simply raised a brow. He didn't seem fazed by Percy at all, instead he looked amused.

"I don't get why everyone seems to pee their pants around you," Zacharias stated, unbothered that he was being quite rude. One simply does not spark a conversation with a question such as that.

"I don't get it, either," Percy shrugged. He appeared relieved that Zacharias was treating him like any other person- even in camp, people saw him as some sort of killing machine/handsome hero. It got tiring after a while. "I mean, is my resting bitch face that bad?"

"Your resting what now?" Hannah repeated. She either couldn't comprehend the fact that Percy had cursed, or she didn't know what the heck a 'resting bitch face' even meant.

"Nevermind." Percy huffed a little. "So... will we be getting any food soon? I'm starving."

"The Welcoming Feast will start as soon as all the first-years are sorted," Justin offered. He took a glance at the new students that gathered together, waiting for their turn to be sorted. "Well, all the first-years and the older student who happens to be a thief."

Percy narrowed his eyes in mock suspicion. "How did you know Travis was a thief?"

"He's literally trying to steal a first-year's wand," Ernie pointed out. He made a face. "Okay, he's not just trying anymore. He actually did it."

"Oh. That's typical Travis behaviour," Percy said. He didn't even have to look to know that Ernie was telling the truth- a Son of Hermes committing theft was as common as the sun rising at dawn.

"Great. He sounds like the next Fred and George," Zacharias claimed, rolling his eyes. Then he seemed to have realised what those words truly meant, for his mood dampened and his figure slouched. "I mean- not that Fred and George need any replacing."

"They're irreplaceable," Justin agreed. Percy scratched his head in confusion.

"Fred and George? Who's that?"

Percy's new Hufflepuff friends shifted uncomfortably, as if the topic felt wrong to speak about. Finally, not wanting to leave him in the dark, Hannah Abott said, "You know Ron Weasley, right? He's Potter's best friend."

Percy bobbed his head, signalling that he was listening.

"Fred and George are Ron's twin brothers. In the war, Fred passed away fighting for us."

Percy suddenly understood why they had been reluctant to discuss the Weasley twins any further- it was due to grief, of course. He had never known the two redheaded troublemakers, but if Zacharias compared them to Travis Stoll, then they must've been fun to be around.

It was too bad that Fred Weasley was no longer... well, around. Perhaps Hades had saved a spot for him in Elysium. With all the deaths that Percy had witnessed, he knew that a wishful prayer was all he could do in these cases.

Death, huh? he said to himself sadly. I'm all too familiar with that story.

The string of alphabets moved downwards, and it was finally Travis' turn to be sorted. His hopes had already been chucked out the window, for his friends had been separated into different houses, leaving him isolated and alone.

I swear, if I get Ravenclaw... Travis thought to himself, sitting atop the stool at the front of the Great Hall. The Sorting Hat snuggled on his head.

And why are you so reluctant to be placed under Rowena Ravenclaw? the hat sang, totally disregarding the concept of 'personal space'. Well, perhaps boundaries didn't matter if the hat was literally in your head.

"I don't wanna leave my friends, duh," Travis replied. The Sorting Hat chuckled.

It may be hard to be divided from your friends, but I assure you that they do not belong in the same places you do, said the hat. It might be against your wishes, but I see great intellect within you, Mr Stoll. Creativity and intelligence lay beneath your pranks, and wit allows you to defeat your enemies. Yes, yes. You will be the first Ravenclaw amongst your friends.

Travis grimaced. The Sorting Hat really had a way of letting people down, huh?

Now, don't be so glum, child, chided the garment. RAVENCLAW!

A/N: um lol i know i haven't updated in two weeks and i apologise for that,, i literally had the chapter ready i was just lazy to proof read. anyways, merry christmas! it's over for me now but not yet for some of you, so i thought i'd say this before it's over for everyone. if you don't celebrate christmas, i hope you had a nice friday :) i love you all! stay safe <3