Reprimand

"Do you realize what you've done?" Said Li Jun in a quiet reprimand.

He had summoned Lin to his office for a late informal scolding. This is something he knew he had to deal with.

Lin held his stare on the other side of his mahogany desk. It felt like she's being prosecuted. Not once she's gotten in trouble before. She pressed her lip tight. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He let out a sigh, eyes softening now. "You know, you can't do that to Bing, you need to respect your elders."

A ghostly smile played on her lips, unable to contain herself, being reminded of the altercation this morning. "I didn't do anything."

Li Jun saw through the lie. Most of his days are spent among gangsters and criminals, he is one himself, he can smell a lie a mile away. "And, she's the head housekeeper, you need to obey her instructions."

Lin stiffened, something about this whole situation does not sit well with her. It's not fair. Why is she the only one being scolded when it's Bing who started it?

"She broke into my room and went through my stuff. Are you going to scold her for that?" Her voice came out sharper and crispier than she intended.

A ripple of shock claimed Li Jun, hardly expecting this kind of retaliation. Lin had always been the gentle type. It's part of what drew him to her.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of it."

"You promised?"

Li Jun wheeled his chair closer, leaning his elbows on his legs. For a moment he entertained placing his hands on her hips so he may drew her closer but didn't. Instead, he settled about a feet away and looked up at her beneath his thick dark brows.

Lin gazed down at him uncertain with what he's about to do. She held herself in place and promised not to sink to anything he tries to get her to admit.

"What will it take for you to stay away from Shin?"

But she did not expect the question that came next.

Her heart raced. "What do you mean? Shin is nowhere around here?"

"Look you don't need to be scared."

"I'm not scared." Lin steadied her feet under her weakening knees, she wanted nothing more than to get away from him right now.

"The letter." He added. "Bing told me you have his address."

All her blood rushed through her head, feeling the pressure on her ears. She was starting to get angry, she doesn't like being questioned like this. "You act like I've done something wrong. I haven't had any contact with him. It was Shin who wrote that letter and gave it to me. This shit goes both ways, Mr. Lim!...Why am I the one being prosecuted?"

The flash in her eyes alarmed Li Jun of her state, he realized she was getting angry. The last thing he wanted is to put her on the spot and drew this kind of pressure on her but he needed to make sure.

Good thing, he knew a lot about interrogation techniques and knew how to calm her down quickly.

He grasped for her hand, holding hers with his gentle fingers. Li Jun slackened his back, and showed her a smile. He tries to look as relaxed and calm as he can.

"No one's prosecuting you, Lin. I was just asking the question."