{17} Family Comes First

Amira Sarker

I walked outside the school building, welcoming the gentle breeze that softly blew my hijab. I looked up into the sky, watching the large fluffs of white float among the ocean of blue, slowly drifting as the world turned on its axis. A flock of birds followed the motion of the clouds, flying far away to a place where the weather would welcome them with open arms.

Smiling, I continued walking as I ignored the obnoxious students around me. The boys were tackling each other in an attempt to show off their strength. The girl giggled, winking at a boy that might catch their eyes. I rolled my eyes, teenagers.

"Amira!" a voice called. I turned around and saw Damon, jogging up towards me. "Do you need a ride?" he asked.

"Nah. I'm taking the bus," I told him.

He gave me a blank look. "You're riding with me. Come on."

I shook my head. A part of me wanted to follow Damon to wherever he would take me, to allow him the freedom to venture my body, mind, and soul, but I knew it was wrong. A alerted bell rang in my mind in warning, screaming at me to turn away. Allah came first, not boys, not materialistic things, not grades.

"Damon, no. Thank you for the offer though."

"Amira, come on. I'll get you home faster. I'm not exactly fond with you riding the bus."

"And why is that?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"Because I'm more trustworthy than a dumb bus. You know how many fights go on a bus?"

I raised a brow. "If I remember correctly, you were once a part of those fights."

"I'm reformed, aren't I?"

"I'm not sure if 'reformed' is proper word choice," I remarked.

He sighed. "You really antagonize me, you know that?"

"Of course I do," I said proudly. "If I don't keep you grounded,then who will?"

"You make a compelling argument, but seriously stay a while," smiled Damon.

My body suddenly felt cold, a chill running down my spine in warning. He wanted to ride with me to have time alone with me. Texting and real life conversations were two different types of communications. When we were texting, I could easily leave the chat whenever I wanted without burying myself into the depths of Damon's life.

In real life, there were no barriers between us if we were alone. I could surrender to desire, forget all my values in the heat of a moment. In real life, there was peer pressure and a need to be like everyone else. There were guidelines to interactions in Islam to prevent a time where my vulnerability allowed someone to take advantage of me.

Damon sensed my ambivalent thoughts. "We could talk out here. When's your bus coming?"

I checked the time on my phone. "In a little bit," I replied.

"Do you think you could spare me a little time?" he asked, shyly at first. "I just really wanted to talk."

My heart warmed a little at his words. They were so sweet, luring my heart closer to the gates of no returns, and I allowed it. It wasn't right, but we were in public where there were other students. It couldn't be that bad, right?

"Sure."

His smile had brightened, lifting his spirits almost immediately. The joy stretched his cheeks until I wasn't sure if I had ever seen him that pleased before.

"So," I began, "what did you want to talk about?"

He settled himself on a bench outside the building, patting the seat next to him. Hesitantly, I sat on the far side, clutching my textbooks to my chest. My nerves bundled together, warnings flashing through my mind, my breath quickening. Relax, it's not a big deal. Just chill.