{19} Self Control

Damon Winters

This party wasn't outright horrible like I imagined, but I think I would have liked it better if a certain beauty were here.

I sighed. Amira would probably hate this party; the grinding bodies did no justice to that statement. A couple of months ago I wouldn't have cared about people showing public "affection," but now I saw how disturbing it was to watch.

It felt like I was intruding.

"Damon, man, what's got you in the blue? This is the type of party you live for," Tye said while giving me a glass of water.

"Just thinking of someone."

"Would this someone happen to be this girl you keep texting?" he asked with raised eyebrows. "Perhaps maybe Amira?"

I gave him a blank stare. "No."

"Lying is a bad look in you," he smirked. "Let's skip over the middle school crush game and just be honest this time around."

"I don't like her," I scowled.

Even I knew I was lying. There was no point denying it anymore. I liked Amira. I liked her a lot, but there's no way in hell I'd be telling her that. She hated me. I didn't blame her because I was not the most welcoming.

Amira was a girl that deserved a man who stayed faithful till his last dying breath. She needed a man who could argue back and forth with her, but never lost interest. Amira's love was not something to be won but a prize to be earned through all the obstacles she threw. From her sweet smile to her jovial laughter, there was no other girl like her in the world.

"Didn't you ask her to the party? Did you tell her about how you felt?" Tye pushed before finding the error in his words. "Ah, not too many Muslims like to put themselves in a situation like this. Man, that means I can't play Cupid for you."

I forgot he was here for a second.

"Maybe You should pretend to be Cupid on Halloween, Tye," I chuckled, grabbing his arm And pulling him into the dance floor. "Right now let's enjoy the party."

Some girls came up to Tye and I, asking if they could dance with us. I shrugged, figuring why not. A party was called a party for a reason, but I couldn't ignore the pang of guilt I felt.

When that girl, Kaylie, touched her hip against my groin, I felt the strong urge to push her away. When her arms wrapped around my neck, I felt the strong urge to scream in frustration.

She wasn't Amira. She didn't satisfy my undying thirst for a girl who could never be mine.

"Want to hang out away from these people?" she asked, seductively.

I nodded, realizing I needed a distraction, anything to get my mind off Amira. It was remarkable how one girl managed to consume my every thought. I had practically memorized her facial features and the soft curve of her lips that made my jeans become tighter.

The idea of Amira suffocated me, killing me from materialistic gain and setting my eyes on the rarest gem of all. A diamond that shone in the moonlight. My Amira.

"Didn't know I had such an influence on you," she purred.

She's still here? Whoa, get a grip, man!

I could smell alcohol on her, so I knew she was a little drunk. Damn it. Why couldn't Amira be here? My God, what I could have done with her.

We could have danced like there was no tomorrow. Her hands would wrap around my neck as she would have kissed me hard on the mouth. She would pull on my hair so gently compared to her teasing. If only she could hear my thoughts now. Surely, her cheeks would have innocently turn red from the explicit details that my mind refused to forget.