| aftermath |

POE

Sounds of celebration can be heard as I landed right next to the Millennium Falcon back at the base. Everyone was cheering for us as we got down from the ships. Lando, Chewie, Finn and me had tired smiles across our faces as we ventured into the bustling crowd. Pats on the backs were given and high fives all around but I wasn't paying attention to any of it, instead I was looking around to find her. Rey.

Weird. We flew back together

I thought to myself as I hear a familiar sonic pulse of an X-Wing engine slowly glide above us before gracefully landing atop a small hill. The crowd looked up towards the ship and cheered even louder as they realised who it was. Quite possibly the last remaining Jedi. I smiled, relieved that she was safe. Finn, BB-8 and I rushed over to her to celebrate with the crowd following. With a loud hiss, the cockpit opened as a strong but gentle female figure climbed out of the ship, battle worn. She immediately pulled us into a group hug which we gladly returned.

"Someone's happy"

Finn remarked as we hugged back, tightening the embrace. BB8 beeped happily at the sight of Rey before spinning around in frenzy. Hearing him, Rey stooped down and pat his metal dome-shaped head, giving him a weak smile. I took another look at her which made me realize the state she was in. Pale face, bloodied nose, bruises and cuts all over. She was smiling but I could tell she wasn't feeling very well. Before we could talk more, Finn was called by Rose through his earpiece so he excused himself from our little celebration.

I could tell Finn and Rose had something going on but they just wouldn't talk about it for some odd reason. In the midst of my thoughts, I heard Rey softly groaned in pain as she tried to keep herself standing, watching the cheerful atmosphere around us.

Instinctively I wrapped her right arm over my shoulder as I gently placed my left hand on her hip for additional support. She was surprised at first, but soon eased towards my body. I was a little worried she might be a little resentful, we may be the best of friends but we rarely had physical contact besides the usual pull on the arm or the occasional group hug. To my surprise, she didn't seem to bother. The crowd made way for us as I led her down the path. They chanted her name as she smiled politely, waving it off.

She was probably too worn out from the fight to say anything. I immediately took her to the medical facility to attend to her wounds. I sat her down on one of the floating medical bed and gave her some water while I tend her many injuries, I wasn't a doctor by any means but I know how to patch up a wound or two.

I began to clean the open wound at her bicep area as I needed to make sure it wasn't infected before I stitched it up. Thankfully my hand wasn't shaking as it usually does. She inhaled sharply as the alcohol wipes came into contact with the wounds but pushed through it as I dabbed it ever so gently.

My face strained at the sight of her wounds. Cuts along the sides of her face, multiple bruises all over her body, not to mention the huge charred wounds presumably from a lightsaber battle.

It hurt me to see her this way, the fact that she tries to mask it behind her smile but in actuality she was hurting, if only I could do something about it. For a good while there was an awkward silence between us. I could tell she was watching me which made me not want to look at her direction. I'd probably get lost in those golden brown eyes of hers.

" The wound is pretty bad so I need to stitch it up before it gets infected. Tell me if it hurts alright?"

I softly muttered between us, breaking up the silence and making sure she was comfortable. She nodded in silence as I began my work. I handed her an ice pack to place on her head to help with the pain she was feeling.

Soon enough, it was done as I applied a light coat of bacta-spray over her wounds. She smiled at me and thanked me before trying to stand by herself. I turned around to keep the supplies and dispose of the bloodied waste when I heard a loud thud behind me. Immediately I whipped around to see her on the floor as her breathing began to slow down.I dropped to my knees at the sight, cradling her in my arms. Panicked, I turned on my comms.

" Finn!! Get a doctor to the medical facility immediately! Rey is unconscious!!"

I immediately lifted her up, placing her back on the bed. Before I knew it, tears began to trickle down my face as I checked her breathing and pulse. Like I said, I was no doctor so I did the only thing I could which was panicking. The plethora of machines and apparatus were as familiar to me as the ancient Sith language. It wasn't long before the doctors came to which Finn had to drag me out of the facility so they can do their work. We stood by the door, waiting for them as I nervously paced back and forth, blaming myself for what happened. Finn tried to calm me down but I wasn't going to calm down until I knew she was going to be fine.

" If only I didn't turn my back, I could have catched her."

Tears continued to fall down as Finn watched on but I couldn't be bothered. All I wanted was for her to be okay. Who knew Poe Dameron, the best pilot in the Resistance would be crying his heart out when the entire galaxy was celebrating this monumental victory. It seems Rose caught the news as she came to join us and tried to assure us that Rey was going to be fine. Soon C3PO, R2, BB8 and Chewie joined us as we patiently waited for the doctors to come out.

Every second that passed, I could literally feel my heart sink a little more deeper. What if they didn't have any good news? I'd never forgive myself. I know I pride myself on always keeping my emotions in check whilst in battle but this, this all seemed new to me. I hung my head lowly, waiting with my heart in my throat.