o n e

"welcome to lincoln preparatory school! we are so excited to have you as part of our family!" i smiled at the overly eager guide. her name was 'amanda', she was blonde and had bright green eyes. she seemed nice, but was definitely too much for me. i was pulled into a hug and practically dragged down the hallway to the main door, not being able to say goodbye to my family. "have you seen the school yet? or did you just come?"

"um, my parents checked it out last year so when we moved back home they decided to send us here. i didn't really have a say in it." she nodded and pointed at the classrooms.

"this area is the maths block. there's so many classrooms that even i still get lost, so don't be afraid to ask for directions if you do." we carried on the tour and after making our way up some more stairs, amanda showed us to our form room. "our tutor group is 10b, we are in claret for house, which is just a fancy name for red, hence the red embroidery on your blazer. also, we are the number one form in the school, in academics, house points and extra curricular activities."

"okay, so you're the over achievers?"

"thank you! okay, you ready?" she asked. i nodded which prompted her to open the door to the classroom and gesture for me to enter first. i did and walked over to the teachers desk. it was a middle aged man with brunette hair and a ginger beard. he was dressed in a grey suit with an untucked shirt and the mug on his desk read 'my brownson is better than you'.

he noticed me looking at the mug and lifted it up.

"like it? i bought it after we won sports day last year. i feel like it really suits my personality, humble and modest." i chuckled and handed him my schedule. "okay, ask jenny to show you to your next classes because you're together. she can be your buddy for the day." i nodded and took the paper back off him.

"where do i go now? form is half an hour." i asked, folding up the paper and putting it in my my blazer pocket.

"i'm leaving that up to you, good luck. but i'll warn you, it's wild out there."

i turned around and scanned the room. there was a group of girls sat around a table reading and talking quietly, which i had noticed amanda sat there ,gesturing me over; the 'nerds'. there was some more on their phones; the populars. and then there was a group of boys switching between being stood up, sat on the chairs or the table; seems like my type of people. i don't like most girls, they mad fake.

i walked over and introduced myself. they looked over at me and smiled. one of the boys, who was sat on the table and had one airpod in stood up. he had floppy, brown hair and big lips.

"hey, you're new, right?" i nodded and put my bag on the table.

"i'm romeo, that's george, henry, alex, zach and ali."

"i'll try and remember that, i'm tegan." they all said nice to meet you and gestured for me to sit down. i sat in a chair next to, i think, alex.

"i like how you've styled your uniform, i give you until first break to be called out for it." romeo laughed. he was referring to how i had rolled up the sleeves of my blazer and folded over my skirt so it was hitched above my knee. my tights were black and my shoes were black nike air maxes. i had my light brunette hair straight and little to no makeup on.

"thanks, but i refuse to have my skirt at my ankles."

"as one would." i looked over my shoulder and noticed amanda stood there. "but that's the uniform and you should stick to the rules. anyway, don't you want to come and sit with us? we'll be your friends."

"thanks, but i'll just stay here." i could see her resisting an eye roll as she walked away, and raised my eyebrows. this earned a laugh out of the group.

"so you had amanda for a guide?" i nodded and someone made a comment about her being uptight. for twenty minutes we got to know each other when the bell went, i asked them where to find jenny.

"why? got her in your next class?" romeo asked, i nodded and told him. "oh, i can take you there, and oh, i'm in your maths too and then it's first break. come on, lets go." we walked down the stairs and outside, and then made our way towards the science block. "our teacher is mrs lilson, she's extremely laid back and just allows you to get on with your work. there's a space next to me at our table so you can sit with me."

when we got into the class, i got a book and wrote my information on the front. i sat down next to romeo after putting my bag on one of the shelfs and noticed a few dirty looks from the other girls in the class. i just assumed it was their faces and ignored them. the teacher spoke for ten minutes and then gave us the task of making a poster on climate change. two girls on the table took the paper and focused on working, whilst the rest of us spoke.

"so tegan, tell us about yourself." a dark skinned girl asked. the first thing i noticed about her was her beautiful hair, black and spiral curls.

"um, we got in from australia a few nights ago, we lived in sydney for two years for my dads work."

"what does he do?" the same girl asked. i noticed from her book that her name was palmer.

"a pilot, based in australia. my mum was a flight attendant, that's actually how they met. a few years ago he took a job in australia, it was a fresh start for all of us."

"fresh start from what-" romeo was cut off by the teacher coming over to check on our progress.

"sorry to but in, but i feel like i should make a good first impression on our new girl. what's your name again? tegan henderson. sounds like a pop star." i forcefully chuckled at her and started looking around the classroom. eventually, she left and around ten minutes later, the bell rang.