s i x

i waited patiently outside of the door to gabby's bedroom. her mother had let me in, and gabby was just changing. there was a mirror on the wall next to her door, so i double checked my outfit; ripped black jeans and a yellow bandeau. when she finally opened the door, i was dragged inside.

"ok, show me your outfit!" she squealed. i looked at her with confusion, and then gestured to what was on my body. "oh."

"i know, i know it's boring, but i don't have anything else!" she chuckled and then walked over to her open closet door. inside was a room full of clothes, accessories and shoes.

"take your pick."

an hour later, and we were ready to go. i had changed into a floral patterned dress, with no straps and it had a flowy skirt. i kept my nike air forces on, but borrowed a cropped white denim jacket. gabby was in a skin tight, pink dress with long sleeves and had nike 97s on. she looked gorgeous. her sister, abigail, was joined by jasmine, and we had to sit together in the car. their mother was very chatty, and her and i had a nice conversation whilst i waited for gabby to get in the car. i was sat in between gabby and jasmine, as abigail had shotgun.

the drive was actually quite short, and we could've walked it, but their father refused to let us go out dressed the way we were; i was grateful.

i thanked gabby's mum before i got out of the car, and smiled as she wished us a good night. we all walked up the drive in silence, minus jasmine complaining that her heels were uncomfortable. gabby rolled her eyes and pulled stupid faces, and i had to contain my laughter. alex's front door was shut, but his garden gate was open. i walked in last, and was amazed at his garden. the main feature was a pool. it was surrounded by different levels, with different functions; a barbecue, seating area, general greenery.

louis and zach greeted us first, and i appreciated how good louis smelt, again. he clasped my hand and led me inside. everyone was either dancing or talking. he took me over to a big group of people, and i immediately clocked romeo. although i recognised a few other people, theres was a lot of new faces in this circle of people. i moved a hair out of my face and waved as louis introduced me. everyone was very welcoming, and romeo walked over to us as the group closed off. 

"hey, it's nice to see you here!" he spoke loudly, so i could hear him over the music. his arms were slightly opening. "are you gonna give me a hug or what?"

i removed my hands off of louis, which i had only just realised i had been clutching onto his one hand, whilst his other was rested on my back. romeo and i embraced, and he whispered something in my ear. i wasn't too sure if i heard it right, or maybe i was hearing what i wanted to, but i was pretty sure he said 'you look beautiful'. when we pulled apart, he smiled and then pushed past me, to greet others. louis wasn't next to me anymore, but soon came back, holding a red solo cup; iconic. i was a bit hesitant at first, but then he took a sip and handed it to me. it was juice.

the next hour or so was a blur. i danced, talked, drank, laughed, by now; i was drunk. the perks of being a light weight. i lost louis when i entered the dance floor. i danced for a bit and when i exited, i found gabby again. she noticed my state, and led me to the sliding doors, so i could get some fresh air. we sat under the gazebo near the pool. then, she had left again, so i sat there and hummed to myself. people had come and gone, checking on me and saying hi. as time passed, less people were in the garden. it was getting colder. i wanted a blanket.

i tried to walk towards the doors, but it was more of a stumble. as i edged closer to the pool, i became anxious i was going to fall in; but i literally couldn't control where i was going. my fear was about to come true, before my arm was caught by someone. they pulled me into their chest, and when i looked up, i was thankful it was romeo.

"oo, storng. storg, stong! you're so strong!" he laughed at me and shuffled as away from the pool.

like i mentioned, there was little people outside. however, everyone came rushing out when ali shouted 'police!'. i didn't take much notice, but romeo seemed stressed.

"tegan, we have to go!" i was just hugging him tighter. he continued to try and encourage me to go, but in my drunken state, i didn't move. he ended up sighing, pushing me off him, and getting me to go on his back. he ran out of the gate, clutching my legs and down the driveway, onto the road. i held onto his shoulders, and rested my head in the crook of his neck, which meant i was bouncing around as he ran. as we passed another police car, he continued to run. romeo slowed down once we were off alex's road, but didn't put my down until we reached a bench.

i sat on the bench, and noticed how the blast of fresh air and bumpy carry had managed to sober me up a bit. i looked at the time on phone, 9:30. crap. my parents won't be home until 1, and i don't have a key. i told them i was having a sleepover with gabby, not mentioning the party. but, in the chaos, i'd lost her. for twenty minutes, i was trying to call her. she wasn't picking up. somehow, i had managed to completely sober up. romeo was more 'drunk' than i am, even though he was barely tipsy. i sat back down and watched as romeo was frantically texting, pulling my knees to my chest. it was really, really cold. 

romeo noticed, and handed me his vintage, nike, blue, green and white windbreaker. he was wearing a sweater underneath, so i happily accepted the offer without feeling guilty. 

then, i stood up, and pulled one of the already long sleeves over my hand, and gestured for him to take my other hand. he looked at me a little bit funny, so i forcefully took his hand, and began walking back up the high-street.

"where are we going?" he asked, interlocking our fingers. internally, i was beaming. 

"we're gonna go help alex clean up."