Mattress

"Boss! Wake up! Wake up! The sun is shining and you have to get to work. I know you're faking sleep, dirty-stay-in-bed. Wa—"

I hit the snooze button, turning off my bossy Clock Radio for a few minutes. (They like their names capitalized.) I got out of bed and prepared for another shift at the cafeteria. Before I left, I made my bed, smoothing the covers over my memory foam mattress.

"Boss," Mattress whispered so low I could scarce hear. "It's time to replace me."

I held back the tears. "Mattress," I said, choking a little, "You know you're my favorite of the new sentient appliances. You give me better sleep, restful nights. I have less nightmares."

"I've done my work. Let me go. Tell your new mattress to follow the suggestions I left with Pillow."

"I'll tell New Mattress," said Pillow. "For sure, Boss."

"But, but what will happen to you, Mattress?"

"Recycle me. I'd like to be an umbrella and go outdoors. We live to serve and want to be recycled. Please."

"OK, then, then, I'll do it." I held back the tears as I left.

I spent the day slinging mashed potatoes and gravy to hungry customers and convincing the coffee machine to give me cream, not skim milk this time. I bought a new memory foam mattress on the way home.

I took Mattress to Recycle. Recycle said they would see Mattress was put to good use. I thanked Recycle and trudged home.

I crawled into bed late that night. "Boss," said new Mattress. "I'm here to help you. I hope to be as good as your last Mattress. Pillow gave me all Mattress's advice. Pleasant dreams."

I fell asleep immediately and had a restful night's sleep.