Day 26 - The Thirteenth - Monster Army

We live over the garage. Dad runs it, Mom manages the convenience store, my sisters and I help out. I'm the oldest, stuck in this town no one dares leave. We are isolated, few visitors, and no place for them to stay, so they don't.

At sundown on the Thirteenth of every month, we lock everything away, and barricade every door, window, and entrance. We even turn off the streetlights. We huddle inside, silent, and sleepless. It's the only safe way.

Town belongs to monsters the night of the Thirteenth. They march down our five streets, breaking things and carousing, celebrating their night of freedom. Our curse.

After sunrise on the fourteenth, we clean up and start over until the next Thirteenth. I asked Dad who they were and why do they keep coming back? He said decades ago soldiers retreating from the enemy asked our town for shelter. The townsfolk refused, afraid of our powerful enemy's army, and drove the sick, tired, hopeless soldiers away. The enemy shot them all. Their Captain cursed us, and said every month on the anniversary of their deaths, they would return, and anyone and anything they found would be destroyed.

We crouch inside our bunkers and wait out the night. This night is different. I hear a car pull up to a pump and honk for service. Dad turns white. The driver keeps honking. Then knocking loudly on the door. The monsters hear the noise and march this way.

I sneak down to the store and peer out a crack in the mesh. A very old man is looking for someone to pump gas. He knocks again. The monsters parade around the corner and surround him. He stares at them, speechless.

"Mountjoy's Artillery? You all vanished in the civil war more than 50 years ago. My grandfather served with you." The old man rubbed his eyes. "Corporal Smythe, from Auderly?"

A voice cries, "Dickie? My grandson. I kissed you goodbye before I left." A young man breaks ranks and runs to the old man and takes his hands.

"Grandfather? You look just like your picture. What is happening?"

"These townsfolk refused us shelter against the usurper's army. We were all shot and buried in unmarked graves, without proper blessing. We cursed them, haunting their town the thirteenth of every month. As punishment for cursing, we cannot rest."

"Grandfather. Tell me where you are buried. I will bring a priest to bless your final resting places."

"Then we can rest and this town be forgiven, my grandson. God bless you." The young corporal told his elderly grandfather where they were buried. They hugged, and the monsters marched out of town.

I opened the door and went to the old man. "Your gas is free, sir. Please come inside for the night, and take food and shelter from us, for we have repented of our cruelty. Tomorrow the priest will accompany you to the graves of the dead, and we will pray for their rest."