11 All My Yesterdays

Ed Nottingham walked up the street to the field near the high school. He was tired, worn from surgery to remove part of a cancerous lung, and chemo. He'd requested and been allowed to go home for New Year's Eve (his eighth wedding anniversary) and on a whim decided to take this walk to get some fresh air.

The cool afternoon made him feel less feverish, and a bit stronger. One more block, he thought, and I'll go home. Valerie and the kids will be back from the store, and we'll eat tacos and watch movies and play games. Her, and me, and our boys.

He reached the field and saw a small carnival set up, with people walking in, rides whirling around, lights blinking, and food booths and event tents set up. He hurried to the entrance booth, stopping to catch his breath.

"Easy, sir," said the attendant, whose nametag read, 'Buddy.' "We're always open."

"Hunh?" said Ed. "Have you been here before? I've never seen a carnival here."

Buddy smiled. "We come and go."

"How much is a ticket."

"Entry is free, Ed. Just walk in. You're welcome here."

"How'd you know my name?"

"It's on your nametag. Buddy nodded at Ed's chest. Ed glanced down to see a large blue and white sticker with 'My Name is ED.'

"I don't remember writing that."

"We have all names available. Here's your tickets." Buddy handed him a long strip of green tickets.

"I didn't pay."

"No problem. Tickets are paid for already. Enjoy everything. Lots to see here. Best tacos at the small booth near the coconut shy."

"Thanks," said Ed, bemused, as he walked in. A free fair, with food and games and rides. He'd stay a bit and hurry home. Maybe he could win prizes for Eddy, Jr. and little Tommy. If the carnival was here for a few days, he'd try to bring them.

Ed strolled down the fairway, delighted by everything. He felt stronger than he had in months. He took a deep breath and didn't feel the hitch from his poor lung. 

He strolled past a booth offering stuffed animals if you could knock a cup off the shelf. 

The carousel whirled to a stop. It's been years since I've been on a carousel, he thought. I'd like to ride that white horse up and down. I used to ride a horse like that at the county fair. My favorite. He gave the attendant one green ticket and climbed on the horse. He felt pretty strong; he'd been worried he wouldn't have the strength to climb on the horse and would have to ride in a chair.

The carousel lights blinked as the music began and the horses and unicorns and lions rose up and down. He saw brass rings hanging just out of reach and reached for one. He missed. I got one when I was seven, at the fair, he told himself. The rings came by again and he grabbed one. He opened his fist and smiled at the ring shining on his palm. Got another, he thought.

He wandered to a tent holding a pet show. He gave the young woman two green tickets.

"Go right on in, Ed."

He was puzzled until he remembered his name tag. Inside the tent a variety of dog, cats, birds, fish(?) reptiles and even a snake or two were barking or purring or whistling as people walked from animal to animal.

An elderly woman whose name tag read 'Sandy' stopped to pet a ginger tom, a large fat cat that rubbed against her hand and purred loudly. "You look just like my Tiger." She rubbed the cat's head and he stood on his hind paws to nose her face. "He'd climb on me just like you when he wanted to be picked up." She lifted the cat and Tiger settled in her arms, purring.