Chapter 2

Trigger warning: brief mentions of a panic attack 

Atsumu's POV

I wake up to the soft sounds of someone snoring. I'm very confused until the events of last night flood my mind. The cat is curled up into a small ball near my knees. His little bangs fly up with every snore. Gently I sit up and walk to the bathroom. When I come back the cat has moved onto my floor. Noticing me he looks up into my face. There's something so human about this cat. I've never seen a cat with these kinds of facial expressions before. I don't know many cats though. I walk into my kitchen the cat trailing behind me. 

I don't have any cat food yet but I'll get some when I go out. I make myself some tamagoyaki (egg omelet roll) and eat it quietly. Sighing the cat turns in a little circle before plopping himself near my feet. 

"I'm going to get some groceries and stuff for you. I'll be back soon. Be good." I tell the cat before stepping out of the apartment. 

Sakusa's POV

After Atsumu leaves the apartment I don't really know what to do. I'm still tired and my leg is sore so I decide to nap. Using my teeth I drag one of Atsumu's hoodies onto the bed. Then I use my paws to shape it into a nest. I curl up inside and fall asleep quickly. 

Atsumu's POV 

After what seemed like forever I return to the apartment. Who knew there were so many varieties of cat food? I set down the groceries and look around for the cat. I can't find him! Where could he be? Then I hear it that same snoring. I follow the sound until I find him curled up on one of my hoodies. He looks so cute and peaceful. Instead of waking him up I decide to cook some lunch. I'm about to sit down and eat when I get a call. It's from Osamu. I pick up. 

(Osamu is bold and Atsumu is regular text)

"Hello?"

"Hi Atsumu I was just calling to check up on you. "

"I'm good how are you?"

"Doing alright. Hey did you read that articl-"

"Meow!"

"Atsumu? Did you just meow?"

"Umm no?"

"Then what was that?"

"Well I might have adopted a cat..."

Seriously?

"Yeah."

"Atsumu you can barely care for yourself, how are you supposed to care for a cat?"

"Hey! That's not true. I found him in a alleyway and he had been abused. The vet I went to said I should adopt him. "

"Well I hope you take good care of him."

"I will."

"When can I meet him?"

"I don't really know if he likes new people, but soon."

"Okay I have to go now. Don't kill your cat!"

"Gee thanks."

With that I hung up and looked down at the cat. He jumped onto my lap and settled there. I patted his head. 

"What should I name you?" I ask. 

Instead of answering he let's out a little purr. 

"How about... Kento? It means happiness and cure for sadness." 

Kento stares up at me and scratches gently at my hand. I scratch behind his ears and rub his back. Maybe he likes the name.

Sakusa's POV

I don't like the name. I'd rather be called Sakusa or Kiyoomi but it's not like I can tell him my name. If I did he'd totally freak out. But the back rubs and ear scratches are nice. Atsumu is nothing like my old owner. He's kind, quiet, loving and would never hurt me. I'm very grateful to him. 

"Kento do you want some food?" he asks. 

I jump off his lap which makes my leg shake a bit. Stupid leg I think. Following Atsumu he puts down a bowl of cat food. It's got a cup full of kibble inside. My human form would be disgusted with this but my cat form doesn't mind. Food is food. After I finish Atsumu cleans the bowl. 

"Kento want to watch a movie?" Atsumu asks.

I nod my head and he blinks in shock. Whoops I shouldn't have done that. I make my eyes big  and lick my paws. Maybe if I act super dumb he'll forget that happened? 

"D-did you just nod! At me? A cat just nodded at me. My cat answered my question!" Atsumu stammers. 

I decide to stick with the dumb act and roll lazily onto my stomach. 

"Kento nod if you understand me." Atsumu commands.

I don't obviously and instead take a drink from my water dish. 

"Am I going insane?" Atsumu questions. 

He picks me up and plops me on the couch. Grabbing the remote he chooses a random show. Before I know it my eyes are fluttering and I've fallen asleep again. 

Atsumu's POV

I've officially gone insane. I turn and stare at Kento. How can a cat be so cute? I swear he actually nodded at me. But that would be impossible because's cats don't understand or communicate with humans. Right? Before I can confuse myself more I turn off the TV. Deciding not to disturb Kento I lay a blanket over him. Then I head off to bed.

Sakusa's POV 

Where am I? I have no idea what time it is or where I am. Blinking I realize I'm in the living room of Atsumu's apartment. I sigh and crawl off the couch. For a second I had thought I was back there. I stumble around in the dark. My breathing shortens and I feel light headed. I howl and then pass out. 

Atsumu's POV

I'm half asleep when I hear a loud howl. I climb out of bed and turn on the light. Quickly I walk into the hallway. Kento is passed out. I find his heart and it's still beating fast though. He must have had some sort of scare or something that made him panic. What could it be? I take him to my bed and lay him down carefully. I stroke his back until his breathing and heartbeat return to normal.