Chapter Two- Time Freezes

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display.

Tilted, chaste and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a math, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster".

Tonight's events shall be interesting indeed dear reader and I shall report back to you all of my findings tomorrow.

Lady Whistledown.

Anthony could not get over the fact that so many people, notably men, were ogling at his younger sister, it made him quite sick and rather wishing he did not have to chaperone her at these dismal events.

Anthony had once believed in love and marriage but now, well with circumstances being the way they are, he no longer believed in such things and viewed marriage simply as a way to bear children and gain wealth or status.

The only reason Lord Bridgerton even bothered to attend this frivolous affair was to ensure Daphne finds an appropriate suitor who will take care of her.

Much to Daphne and her mother Violets dismay, as he seems to be scaring away any man that approaches the young girl. With each person Daphne sees and seems to have an interest in, Anthony has a comeback as to why they are not good enough for her.

"If the only outstanding gentlemen present this evening are your brothers, then we are in a great deal of trouble indeed" Anthony states with a shake of his head, only causing Daphne to sigh as there are multiple suitors who were more than eligible but her brother was too stubborn to admit it.

Meanwhile, both the Basset siblings had arrived at Lady Danbury's Ball. One sibling eager to attend and to finally be at a ball, the other miserable and counting down the seconds till it was acceptable to leave and never be seen in society again if he was let.

Upon sight of the Duke everyone around them stops what they are doing and stares at them. In an instant they are swarmed and bombarded by all the mamas trying to pawn off their daughters to the most eligible suitor at the ball.

Desperate to get out of this situation her turns to his sister hoping she has a way out of this for them both and he has never been more grateful to hear the words "I am quite parched, could you lead me to the refreshments your grace" leave his darling sister's lips.

"Of course, your grace. Please do excuse us ladies" he says in a smooth tone towards all the mamas hoping they would leave him be, for now at least.

Across the room Daphne decides she needs a break from her judgemental brother, "I'm quite parched" she states hoping he would leave her side for at least one moment tonight.

"Then I shall fetch you a glass of lemonade"

"No! You have already done so much for me tonight. I shall return in a mere moment" she interjects, praying he will let her go unaccompanied.

With a nod and a quiet "Very well" Daphne heads to seek a refreshment and a small reprieve from her eldest brother.

The one time she desperately needed her brother to save her from being accosted was when she was stuck conversing with Lord Berbrooke, a man far too old for her, who was creepy to say the least. She cursed herself to be rid of her brother when he would have easily saved her from her current predicament.

"You've always amused me Miss Bridgerton, ever since I was a schoolboy, and you were..."

"All but... five?" Daphne interjects hoping to be done with this conversation sooner rather than later.  "My brother, he summons me. Adieu." She bids him well and turns to make her exit.