Chapter Twenty Four - So Much Happens At A Picnic

"Jen. Please stay, I'll leave" Anthony insists as he catches up to Jen's retreating figure.

"No, nonsense Anthony, you were here first" she replies turning to take her leave once more.

"No, Jen please, I insist. This was your spot first" he simply states as he grabs her arm to make her stop once more and turn to look at him.

"How about we both stay?" she questions as she looks at the ground afraid to see his reaction in case he rejects her offer and leaves her there all alone.

"If that is what you'd like?" he questions back, not quite sure if she truly meant she wanted his company or whether she was just being polite.

Slowly she lifts her head to gaze at his face to see if he had any signs of regret of agreeing to stay with her, but she saw none at all.

"Please, I know that I said I needed time alone but after the morning I have had with Lady Danbury I could do with the company" she sighs as Anthony nods his head in the direction of the tree so that she could sit down and try relax after the events of the last few hours.

Once they both were sat comfortably Anthony decided to bite the bullet and be the first to speak,

"If you want to talk about it, I am all ears, and if you do not wish to speak of it then that is fine with me too" he says nervously, hoping he hadn't overstepped the mark considering she had said she needed time.

With a sigh Jen opened her mouth to speak but stopped, trying to find the right words to say but it was Anthony she was speaking to, so it didn't matter what she said he always understood what she meant, even if she didn't quite understand it herself.

"Let's just say I have pissed Lady Danbury off and I walked away before she had a chance to yell at me... so it is going to be and ice-cold picnic for me later"

"Ouch, that is going to be painful, but at least I won't be the only recipient of her icy glares today" he replies with a chuckle as he looks at Jen, earning a small chuckle in return from her in response.

They both sat in comfortable silence enjoying each other's company as they both thought about their own problems and worries away from the preying eyes of the ton.

Taking a big breath Jen decided it was now or never to tell Anthony how she feels, if she did not do it now then she would have to do. It with her brother around or with Anthony's family around, or even worse in front of Lady Danbury...

"I do not blame you at all Anthony... I am just hurt that so many people around me knew about her all the while I was utterly clueless... It- it hurt to know you saw her the night I waited up for you, but now that you have told me that is when you broke it off with her, it hurts a little less... I- I still love you, Anthony. I always have and I always will"

"I wish I could go back and change what I did Jen, I never meant to leave you waiting... I will spend the rest of my days making it up to you. I promise. I love you Jenifer and I will marry you one day, even if you don't want to" he says with a small chuckle at the end before he leans in and gives her a loving kiss.

"Being here for me is enough, and I fully intend on becoming Mrs Bridgerton so you would want to marry me!" she replies with a laugh as she leans into his chest and he raps his arms around her.

"Good! Because I like the sound of you being a Bridgerton" he replies with a smirk, Jen didn't have to be looking at his face to know he was smirking like the Cheshire cat, so she slapped him on the chest only resulting in a laugh from Anthony.