Chapter 23

"Right. I want you all to keep a good eye out for Harry," Mrs Weasley tells us, and we all nod our heads as we walk down the streets of Diagon Alley. As we walk down the crowded streets, I see two people running down the streets towards us. "Harry," Mr Weasley pants. "We hoped you'd only gone one grate too far..." he mops his bald patch back. "Molly's frantic – she's coming now –"

"Where did you come out?" Ron asks.

"Knockturn Alley," I hear a voice say and I look up to see Hagrid so I smile up at him to which he returns it. "Excellent!" Fred and George say, grinning from ear to ear.

"We've never been allowed in," says Ron enviously.

"I should ruddy well think now," Hagrid growls. Mrs Weasley gallops into view, her handbag swinging wildly in one hand, Ginny just clinging onto the other. "Oh, Harry – oh, my dear – you could have been anywhere –"

She gasps for breath as she pulls a large clothes brush out of her bag and sweeping off the soot from Harry's clothes. Mr Weasley takes Harry's glasses, gives them a tap from his wand and returns them to him, good as new. "Well, gotta be off," says Hagrid, who is having his hand wrung by Mrs Weasley. "See yer at Hogwarts!"

And with that, he strides away, his head and shoulder taller than anyone else in the packed street. "Guess who I saw in Borgin and Burkes?" Harry asks Ron and Hermione as we climb up the Gringotts steps. "Malfoy and his father."

"Did Lucius Malfoy buy anything?" asks Mr Weasley sharply from behind me.

"No, he was selling –"

"So, he's worried," says Mr Weasley with grim satisfaction. "Oh, I'd love to get Lucius Malfoy for something..."

"You be careful, Arthur," snaps Mrs Weasley as we are bowed into the bank by a goblin at the door. "That family's trouble. Don't go biting off more than you can chew-"

"So you don't think I'm a match for Lucius Malfoy?" asks Mr Weasley but he is distracted almost at once by the sight of Hermione's parents, who are standing nervously at the counter that runs all along the great marble hall, waiting for Hermione to introduce us to them. "But you're Muggles!" Mr Weasley yells in delight. "We must have a drink! What's that you've got there? Oh, you're changing Muggle money. Molly, look!"

Mr Weasley points at the ten-pound note in Mr Granger's hand excitedly. "Meet you back here," Ron says to Hermione as the Weasley's, Harry and I are lead off to our underground vaults by another Gringotts goblin.