Chapter 31

Coming out of the Great Hall after dinner, Fred, George, Lee, Angelina and I walk down the corridor, following the other Gryffindor's but we suddenly come to a stop behind a crowd of Gryffindors which caused us to push to the front to see Harry, R...

Coming out of the Great Hall after dinner, Fred, George, Lee, Angelina and I walk down the corridor, following the other Gryffindor's but we suddenly come to a stop behind a crowd of Gryffindors which caused us to push to the front to see Harry, Ron and Hermione stood in front of us and on the wall to the right, writing. In blood.

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED.

ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE!

Slightly confused and scared, I grab onto the hand that is right next to mine, which turns out to be Fred's, before I look further down the wall to see something hanging off the torch basket, stiff as a board with her eyes wide and staring. "My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs Norris?" Mr Filch screeches before his eyes fall on Harry. "You!" he screeches. "You! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll–"

"Argus!" another voice yells. Professor Dumbledore arrives on the scene, followed by several other teachers. In seconds, he sweeps past all the Gryffindor's, past Harry, Ron and Hermione and detaches Mrs Norris from the torch bracket. "Come with me, Argus." he says to Mr Filch. "You, too, Mr Potter, Mr Weasley, Miss Granger."

Lockhart steps forwards eagerly. "My office is nearest, Headmaster – just upstairs – please feel free-" Lockhart offers.

"Thank you, Gilderoy." Dumbledore says, cutting off Professor Lockhart. The silent crowd of Gryffindor's part, with me and Fred on one side of the corridor and Lee, George and Angelina on the other, to let the five of them pass with Professor Lockhart, looking excited and important, hurries after Dumbledore along with Professor McGonagall and Snape.

Looking at Ange, she motions her head in the direction of the Gryffindor common room which causes me to let go of Fred's hand, even though I didn't want to, and then run up to the common room, following Angelina.

Walking into the fourth year's girl's dormitories with Angelina, I sit down on my bed with a sigh. "Well, this is not a great end to my birthday." I say, sighing before putting my face in my hands. "Let's just hope that next year will be better than next year then, hmm?" Ange asks me, making me nod my head.

**************

For the next few days, the school could talk of little else but the attack on Mrs Norris. Mr Filch kept it fresh in everyone's minds by pacing the spot where she had been attacked, as though he thought the attacker might come back. Ginny Weasley, when I saw her last, seemed very disturbed by Mrs Norris' fate. According to Ron, she was a great cat lover.

The attack had also affected both Hermione and me. It was quite usual for both Hermione and me to spend a lot of time reading, but we are now doing almost nothing else. Nor could Harry, Ron, Angelina, Fred, George and Lee could get much response from us when they asked what we were up to and not until the following Wednesday did they find out.

I walk down the stairs to the main part of the common room, with my copy of Hogwarts, A History in my hand and my satchel on my shoulder, to see Fred, George, Ange and Lee sat on the sofa, making me walk over to them and sit in between Fred and George. "Nothing. Completely nothing." I tell them, groaning. "Nothing on what?" Ange asks me just as confused as the rest of my friends.