18

Crow's pov ***

   After I leave the hotel, I washed and gassed up the car before dropping it off at dad's house. I notice that her car is still at the hotel when I pass it again. I pick up my jeep and go home. I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. We were laughing and talking. Then she took a shower and came out ready to cancel everything and leave.

  So I manned up and did it for her. Someone knocks on the door. I look out and see a messenger. I open the door and he gives me the box. I check the name and see that it is from Renee. "Thank you." I gave him a tip and shut the door. When I see the watch, I realized that I had left the check. "At least she was honest about it!" I text her a thank you. I didn't get a response. I didn't expect one either.

  I put the watch in the safe. I call the office and checked to see if any cases had come in. There wasn't. I checked to see that all the tenants had paid their rent. There were no complaints. I guess every one is happy with the apartments. That is good.

  For the next two weeks, I grew extremely bored. Cassandra kept calling and texting for a week, without answer.

   Jinx and I go to the airport to pick up my family. It felt so good to see Anderson again. "Daddy!"

  "There's my son!" I held my arms out for him as he ran past everyone in the baggage claim area. I scooped him up and hugged him close. Fuck! I have missed this so much! He didn't let go as he was talking about how much fun he had. "But I am never ever going to leave you again! I missed you too much!"

  "I missed you too much too! The house was way too quiet. I love you, Anderson! With my whole heart!"

  "I love you, daddy! With my whole heart!"

  I switched him to my right side so I can hug everyone else. "Welcome home everyone!"

  "It is good to be home! Our next overseas vacation will be for people over the age of eighteen!" Amberlyn said as we hugged. I laughed at her.

  "You love the noise. Because it is happy noise."

  "Shut up, Carlton!"

  We turned to leave and I caught sight of Renee watching us. She lowers her head and walks away with a guy about her age.

  "Are you ready daddy?"

  "Yes, son. I'm ready." We all decided to eat as a huge family at a restaurant in town before going home. It was loud and I loved it!

  "Man, I have missed this! It was way too quiet while y'all were gone. I hated it!"

  "What about your date?" Sara asked.

  "She skipped out on me. No explanation was offered. I didn't push it. I don't understand it. We were talking to you guys on the phone. She was joining the conversation. Then went and showered then called a halt to the rest of the weekend. All she said was that something came up and she had to leave. But she didn't leave for at least two hours. So that was a lie. And I really liked her. She put Cassandra in her place with ease. Renee is funny, smart, beautiful, and dedicated. Whether it is family, friends, or work. I thought that we had time to see if it was going somewhere. Apparently I am good at reading people unless I want a relationship with them. And you guys wonder why I had a certain relationship with Chelly! I guess that's all I'm good at."

  "I'm sorry, big brother."

  "She is actually Cara's aunt."

  "Cara? As in the little girl who Anderson has told us all about?" I nod. "Damn Carlton! That sucks. Maybe something really did come up."