A Delayed Trial

A Delayed Trial

Emilien hadn't returned to their room yesterday.

Lea had stayed up late, waiting for him to come in. He had promised to speak with her and she was determined to define their relationship. For better or worse. She couldn't handle being in this limbo of unknowing any longer.

But he didn't return to the room that night or the next day and, this morning, a servant brought her a notice that her presence was requested for the trial of Herve 'Gascon' Leger that would be happening around midday. She was to serve as the queen's bodyguard.

Lea, surprised that it was already time for the trial, asked when it had been decided that the trial would be taking place at all. The young man informed her, as he was halfway out the door, that General Emilien had informed the king of the prisoner's readiness the day before yesterday and the king wanted to waste no time in seeing this to completion.

Was that what had kept Emilien from her yesterday? He didn't want to see her on the possible eve of the execution of one of his countrymen? Did he feel that badly about it? Or was he worried about appearances again?

Or was their relationship so unstable that he couldn't even seek comfort from her?

That question continued to eat at Lea as she dressed for the day and readied herself to go down to the throne room where his majesty would be conducting the trial.

~~~~~~

It was somehow understood without it being ordered that Emilien would be the one who would fetch Herve from the Sacellum and escort him to the throne room. He had two members of the royal guard with him, but only because Herve would be going before their majesties, and he needed no less than two guards on him for that risk.

It had nothing to do with Emilien and their trust with him. If anything, the royal guard were too comfortable allowing him to take the lead. He had been working with them a great deal since starting to guard her majesty and, although he wore a completely different uniform, he had gotten to know and become friendly with almost all of them.

Leading the duo through the halls of Sacellum, following behind Gael who seemed as serene as ever, Emilien wondered how he didn't feel at all like a traitor right now. He could be leading his own countryman to his death-

-but this was right where he needed to be. He didn't regret his position here.

Herve had already been informed yesterday that he would be going to trial today. Gael had spent the entire afternoon yesterday praying with him, cleansing his body, and preparing his soul for whatever might happen. When they walked into his room, he was seated in the center of his small rug, legs crossed, hands folded together, lost in quiet prayer and meditation. Two warrior priests were standing on either side of the door. They were there to make sure he didn't hurt himself.

However, when Emilien stepped inside and Herve's eyes opened, there wasn't a trace of fear or uncertainty in his gaze. He had accepted what was going to happen today, made peace with the Lord, and stood without needing to be ordered.

Because he was still a prisoner, Emilien had no choice but to bind his wrists in heavy manacles. Herve didn't appear disturbed, lifting his arms willingly and saying nothing as Emilien locked the iron bands in place, the short chain dangling between them.

Gael said one last prayer over him before they all left the room together. Emilien and Gael leading the way, the two guards bringing up the rear, spears held tight, at the ready, as the gray robed, manacled man walked silently between the four of them.

When they left the Sacellum, however, Herve started in surprise.

His group was waiting for him. The acolytes that had studied and learned with him had gathered as he was walked out. They all lowered their heads over their clasped hands, praying for him as he walked past. But they weren't left behind. The five girls and single guy fell in line behind the royal guards.