At Last I See The Light (Tangled AU)

Jasmine woke up to Star calling for her and immediately smiled when she noticed the paper lantern and paint that had been left on the table.

She got out of bed, picking Star up out of her crib. "Good morning, sweet girl, do you know what today is?" she asked.

"My-My bir'day!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms up.

Jasmine laughed and replied, "That's right, today you turn two years old."

She crossed the room, opening the curtains that overlooked their kingdom. The people had been preparing for a week, people came from everywhere to celebrate the little princesses birthday, mainly because of the unique way the kingdom celebrated.

Colorful banners and vendors were everywhere, all decorated with the sun symbol that represented their kingdom.

Star leaned forward, pressing her palms to the window, her eyes going wide at the sight. "Colors!" she exclaimed.

"They're pretty, aren't they?" Jasmine's asked. She turned when she heard something behind her and saw Anthony getting out of bed.

He joined them by the window, wrapping his arms around the two of them and gently kissing Jasmine. "Good morning beautiful," he mumbled. "And good morning to my beautiful little princess."

Star giggled, reaching out for him and Jasmine transferred her into his arms. "Daddy, th-the colors," she said, pointing outside.

He smiled, kissing the top of her head. "Yeah, those pretty colors are all for you," he told her.

"Wha-What's that for?" she asked, attempting to point at the lantern behind Anthony.

The two of them smiled and settled back in the bed, Anthony pulling the table over to the bedside.

"Alright, give me your hand sweetie," Anthony said and Star stretched it out. He dipped her hand into the paint, making sure none of it got onto the bed, then gently pressed her palm and fingers against the paper of the lantern.

He pulled her hand off, wiping away the excess paint. "My hand!" she exclaimed, pointing at it.

"Yeah, this lantern will have the sun on it like every other lantern, but this is going to be the only lantern with your handprint on it," Jasmine told her.

"My la'tern!" she said, making the two of them laugh.

Jasmine brushed her hair back, kissing the top of her head.

The rest of the day was celebrated by them going down to the festival, celebrating with the villagers. The colorful banners and music made Star's eyes go wide and she was doing her best to take everything in.

Her excitement made her stumble over her sentences and they couldn't help but laugh. She kept pointing out the food as well, wanting to try anything and everything.

However, by the afternoon, the two of them could see her starting to get tired. They took her back inside and let her take a nap before the nighttime celebration.

Once Star had woken up, she was immediately psyched for the celebration, staring out the window and waiting for the sun to set.

When it was finally time for the celebration, Star was the first one to alert them.

"Okay honey, come here," Jasmine said, picking her up and taking the lantern in her hands, while Anthony had a match to light the lantern.

They stood at the edge of the balcony, Star looking over and asking quietly, "Where are all the people?"

"They're down there sweetie, it's just hard to see them 'cause it's dark," Jasmine whispered.

Anthony struck the match, carefully lighting the lantern so it didn't Jasmine or Star.

"Okay honey, you ready?" Anthony asked, taking Star from Jasmine's arms and setting her on his shoulders.

Jasmine handed the lantern to Anthony and he lifted it up so Star could hold it.

"Okay sweet girl go ahead," Jasmine told her and Star lifted the lantern up into the air as high as her arms would go as it started to float away.

Slowly, small spots of light in the crowd grew bigger as more lanterns began to appear. "L-Look at them!" Star exclaimed, pointing down. "So many la'terns!"

Anthony smiled, the two of them noticing her eyes glow with excitement at all the lanterns. "A-All for me?" she asked, looking down at the two of them.

"Yeah, they're all for your birthday," Jasmine said, looking up at her. Anthony shifted Star from his shoulders to his arm and wrapped his other arm around Jasmine, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Happy birthday little princess," Anthony mumbled. "We love you forever."