Late Nights (Part 2)

~Jasmine~

I woke up again to Star coughing badly and I immediately got out of bed and went into her room.

She was sitting up in her bed, tears streaming down her face and coughs wracking her body.

I sat down next to her, rubbing her back, saying, "Breathe sweet heart. It's okay. It's okay. Just breathe."

Her coughing stopped and my heart seized when I heard her ragged breaths and realized she was struggling to breathe.

"Anthony!!" I yelled, though it was more of a scream.

He rushed in as I continued rubbing Star's back. "Ant, she cant breathe," I told him.

His eyes widened and he said, "We need to take her to the hospital."

I nodded, lifting her into my arms as I stood up. "Wait, we cant just leave Brooklyn alone," I said.

"Crap," he mumbled.

"Should we call an ambulance?" I asked, feeling panic rise in my chest.

"No, it'll take to long," he said, thinking for a second. "Okay, this is what we'll do. Take her to the hospital. I'll stay here with Brooklyn and call Ma. When she gets here, I'll come to the hospital."

I nodded and he pressed a quick kiss to my forehead and to Star's. "I'll text you when I'm on my way," he said, as I went downstairs.

I took Star out to the car and buckled her into her car seat, then got in the front seat. I reached back and let her grab onto my hand as I started the car.

I had never felt more scared as I drove, praying that we would get to the hospital on time.

"Mama," Star wheezed from her seat.

"Shh shh shh sweetheart. You're gonna be okay. Just focus on breathing right now," I told her.

When we got to the hospital, I pulled into the first parking spot and carried her into the emergency room.

"My daughter is struggling to breathe!" I said to the receptionist. As I said this, Star fell into another coughing fit, tears rushing down her face. Her breathing had gotten more ragged and I was blinking back tears myself, trying to keep Star calm.

The receptionist noticed and sent a call over the PA. I continued rubbing her back, telling her to just focus on breathing. A couple doctors rushed in with a bed and oxygen mask. Star cried harder, clutching my shirt.

"It's okay honey," I said, laying her down. "They're gonna help you."

"Do you know what caused this?" A doctor asked.

"No, but she's had a fever for a couple days. She woke up and was coughing really badly, then she couldn't breathe" I told her.

The doctors gently put the mask on her and I kissed her forehead, quietly saying, "You're gonna be okay sweetheart. Papa and I love you very much."

They took her away and I clasped my hands together, trying not break down in the middle of the emergency room. My phone buzzed and I saw a text from Anthony saying he was on his way.

I paced back and forth, silent tears falling. A few minutes later Anthony ran in, wrapping me up tightly in his arms. I turned my head, listening to his heartbeat, that being the only thing that really calmed me down right now.

"Is she okay?" he asked.

"I don't know," I said. "They just took her away."

He rocked me back and forth, pressing a couple kisses to my forehead. Anthony took my hand and led me over to sit down on a small couch, letting me lean into him.

"Do you think there was something we missed?" I asked, wringing my hands together.

"No Jas, this was not our fault. We did all we could to keep her fever down. There weren't any signs that this was going to happen," he said, taking my hands in his.

I tucked my head into his neck, curling up in his embrace until the doctor came in.

We immediately stood up and I felt a beat of relief when I noticed she wasn't giving us one of those sympathy smiles.

"I'm just going to cut to the chase. Your daughters pathway to her lungs were becoming clogged due to the fever. We were able to unclog them and she will most likely be able to go home soon. We do want to keep her here for the next 12 hours to monitor her, but you can see her now," she said.

All of the weight immediately lifted off of me and she led us to Star's room.

She was curled up in the bed under a blanket and she didn't have an oxygen mask on anymore.

"She's awake, just tired. I'll leave you alone," she said, closing the door. The noise made Star's eyes open, blearily.

I immediately went and sat down on the bed next to her, gently pushing her hair back. I felt Anthony come up behind me and put his hand on my back.

"Hi sweetheart," Anthony said softly. "How are you feeling?"

"Sleepy," she mumbled, rubbing her eyes and reaching up for us. Anthony picked her up and she rested her head on his shoulder, her little hands clutching his shirt.

I smiled at the sight of him holding her, rocking back and forth. I put my arm around his waist, tucking my head into his neck.

"Hopefully this is the end of the late nights," I mumbled, letting Star grab my finger.

"Me too love," Anthony responded.

Soooooooo what did we think of smol bb almost dying?? Don't worry I probably won't kill anyone in my stories. The key word being probably