+Chapter Two+

"Go on.." Phoenix meowed skeptically.

"Well.. I'm actually not your mother. I know I've told you you have your father's pelt because you look nothing like me but... I don't know who your mother or your father are" she meowed, not looking at Phoenix in the eyes.

"W-what?" A floodgate of emotions overloaded her. *she's not being serious, right? She's never not serious so if she was-* Phoenix started to spiral (meaning she negatively overthinks.)

Azure cleared her throat, she clearly hadn't been ready to talk about this yet. "Well," she began "I lost my own kits at birth many moons ago.. with tears running down my whiskers- I prayed to starclan for Some kind of miracle. Oh, I was so very happy to find you." She smiled lightly while recalling the memory.

"On the rainiest day, there you were, on a stump- mewing your little head off." Azure finally looked straight at Phoenix. "It felt like a voice was calling to me.. to you- I thought I was delirious from losing my kits but- you were real. I looked around for any other cat, and picked you up. As if the night couldn't get any more mystical, I felt a soft whisper behind me.."

Both she-cats eyes were glassy. Phoenix still didn't know what emotion to show. "Go on.." she meowed again.

"The voice whispered your name so softly.. and as soon as I turned back- whoever said it was gone.." she finally finished. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, Phoenix.."

Phoenix shook her head. "How could you nOT tell me sooner? I'm not a kit you know?" She spat, letting her emotions out "Was I left behind?" Her voice was shaky.

Azure, expecting this outrage from her, remained in a calm tone " What do you mean?" She asked, swishing her tail to and fro. " What do I me- well my REAL parents- did they not want me? Could they not care for me? was it an accident-was I an accident?" She spiraled once more, going deeper and deeper down thinking about what had happened to her parents. "Stop it! Stop it now! Your doing that again- I hate how you always do that.. it makes me so sad seeing you like this, please- just try to calm down." Azure rested her tail on Phoenix. "You may be able to magically mend your own bones and hunt on your own, but please, let mE help you through this."

Phoenix took a big inhale, following with an even bigger exhale. She whipped her tail away from Azure. "No." She meowed," This is something I need to do on my own.." she got up off her haunches and looked towards the sky " I'm going to find out who my parents are.. even if they aren't around anymore I still want to look." She decided.

Azure nodded respectfully "Okay, look in the morning, it's past sun-down. I don't want you getting hurt." She didn't want any more conflict to happen between them so she agreed to let Phoenix search for any remains of her parents. "Thanks." Phoenix meowed then went back into the cave, not eating another bite of prey.

She would start her search tomorrow, the anticipation was killing her...