CHAPTER III

I hurry to get her before she starts blabbering nonsense again -- to Mika, I mean. That's what I'm gonna call him in my head from now on.

"So, we were playing there," Kiera points at the playpen, "and she asked, why didn't we invite any guests for the tea party today?"

...

I groan. This kid.

"Kiera," I call her, making sure it's stern enough to get into her head. "What are you doing?"

"Dani!" She grins before taking off toward me, giving me only a few seconds to catch her. "Can we play?"

Damn kid making me apologize to people I don't even want to talk to.

"Later, alright? I told you not to go out, didn't I?" I fix her hair, brushing a strand off her eyes.

I want to sound strict, I want her to understand that I'm mad – but she pouts, and I melt all too quickly. I know I shouldn't, but fuck it, I'm too weak for this kid.

Unfortunately, there's someone else I have to deal with.

I swallow a lump in my throat and force myself to look at him. "I'm sorry, sir, I-"

"I'll play with you next time, when your brother's not being a bum."

There it goes, his deep, stupid, freaking arrogant voice again like he wasn't being so nice with Kiera just now! Fuck it, and he doesn't even look at me!

I try not to glare, even when he finally turns to give me a scornful look.

Did I tell you how much I hate him?

"What's a bum?" Kiera looks between us with wide, curious eyes.

"Let's just go," I mumble before turning back. If he doesn't want to listen to my apologies, then whatever, he can go fuck himself for all I care.

"So you really live here, huh."

I stop.

No shit, Sherlock. If only you weren't a complete jerk the other day, you would've known that already.

"Yeah!" Kiera in my hands happily exclaims. "Downstairs, room number one."

Damn it.

"Kiera," I sigh and look at her, tired. I can already feel a headache coming up. "What did I tell you about giving out our address?"

I see her frown in confusion – until she realizes and casts her gaze down. "I'm sorry," she mumbles before turning back to Mika. "We don't live downstairs."

Oh god.

I hear him chuckle and freeze for a moment. Did I hear that right? So he knows how to do it. Damn, should I turn around? See his chuckling face or something? But, no — no, no, imagine how awkward it'd be.

I frown. What am I even thinking?

"Come on, Kiera, say your byes," I nudge her, just so we could finally get out of there.

She nods and turns to give Mika a little wave, peering over my shoulder with a happy grin. "Bye-bye."

Finally, we start walking away. But only three steps later he calls me back.

"Hey, brat."

I pause again, pursing my lips. Why does he keep calling me that?

I turn around. "Yeah?"

He's still looking at me with those cold eyes, leaning on the doorframe. I guess he doesn't know how to smile, after all.

"Don't let her come up here when she's alone. It's dangerous."