CHAPTER IV

Aren't I supposed to be the one asking?

"Oi, kid. Are you still there? Or am I imagining things again?" I hear him mutter to himself after a while.

I groan quietly. Why does it have to be him? Of all people, of course, I really have to be stuck with him. Damn it.

"I-I'm here," I respond, just so he wouldn't leave.

I hear him shuffle.

"So...how'd you get yourself trapped in there?" he asks again.

I purse my lips. Should I say it? But then again if I don't, he might end up getting mad again. "There was...I left the door open, and it was like, kinda windy earlier so..."

"And what? The door is broken?"

...

"It can only be opened from outside."

Another pause.

"How dumb are you?"

I really want to kill him.

"Don't you have a phone with you?" he grumbles, and I can hear him trying the knob. "Aren't kids your age always on their phones or something?"

I ignore the remark and focus on the sound of the knob, waiting for the click of the lock. Why isn't it opening?

"Oi. You say it can be opened from outside, right?"

"Yeah?"

"Then why the fuck is it not opening?"

Panic floods me, heart stuttering in my chest, and I kinda blank out for a moment, unable to speak. "C-can you..." I choke.

Damn it. Breathe.

"Can you tell Jay, I mean, the guy at the lobby. He has the keys." My lips are still quivering around the words. I clench my fists, trying to stop them from shaking. Fuck. I hate this.

Mika doesn't respond, and I imagine he's already gone, hopefully, to get Jay or someone. But all of a sudden, I hear his voice again.

"Calm down, brat. I can hear you breathing even from here."

I bite my lip, trying to take control of my lungs.

"Take a deep breath." So I do, feeling dizzy for a second. "Now I'll ask you. What if--"

"Mr. Andrews?"

I perk up at the voice.

"That's Jay!" I mutter and immediately exhale in relief.

"I know," he grunts, and I look at the door in surprise. How does his mood change all the time?

Familiar footsteps are coming closer, halting once they reach the door. "Is there a prob--"

"Ahh, that brat is stuck in there," Mika says. "I heard him knocking when I was about to go for a smoke. Do you have any keys? The door's not opening."

I hear Jay mumbling an 'okay' and stepping toward the door, the keys clinking as he pulls them out.

"Dani, why didn't you call me? I told you, you have to call me if something happens," Jay mutters with concern, and I hear panic in his voice.

Now we're both panicking, great.

"I left it charging in my room," I reply quietly, hoping Mika won't hear it. A snort comes back in reply, and it's definitely not from Jay. I groan inwardly. Damn him.

"U-Uhh...I think it's stuck."

Great. Fucking great. I close my eyes, clenching fists again. I really don't want to stay here for longer.