CHAPTER V

I don't really understand him. Grandpa, I mean – Mr. Miller is a whole different story. Sometimes I wonder if he's totally sane.

But grandpa, well, he doesn't even try to raise the price. He just refuses, without even listening.

Why be so stubborn?

Of course, selling the hotel would be a big deal. And it's not like we are struggling with money in the first place. It may not seem so, but we do have a lot of regular clients... Well, more like the women choosing our place have a lot of regular clients.

Still, they're paying for the rooms, and that's enough to keep LOTUS going.

I cough into the back of my hand and sniffle.

Damn flu still refuses to leave.

I pull the scarf tighter around my neck and hurry up the street. I really can't be late today, not after two days of absence.

There's also a Math assignment waiting for me after the last period, and I should probably be thinking about that. But Mr. Miller and the morning conversation keep coming back to my mind.

Don't get me wrong, though, I like our hotel.

My teachers would argue, probably, but it's a nice place. Not all guests are nice, and it's not always peaceful and quiet – but I still like it. Used to it maybe. I grew up there, after all.

I chuckle, thinking about Jay snoring in the chair this morning. The workers are like a family to me, and I'm sure to grandpa too.

As for Kiera – she had to bring a family member to school once, so she chose May. Safe to say, her adviser was close to a heart attack. Gave grandpa a whole freaking lecture that same day.

I smile at the memories.

Is that what it is?

The hotel is full of memories. Maybe grandpa just doesn't want to let them go?

Would I choose to let them go?

I sigh, still staring at my feet. I know the path to school like the back of my hand, I don't really need to look around anyway.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the one to decide. It's grandpa's choice, and I'm not going to argue with him. LOTUS is my home as well.

It's just... I wish I could understand him.

"This is where we nurture love."

I snap out of my thoughts and pause. Yeah, that's what he told me before.

But what does it mean?

I blink again and look up. The school is right in front of me.

Shit.

What was it, linear equations?

I spend the rest of the day trying to focus on the lectures while lurking at the Math notes. It doesn't help that I have to catch up on other subjects too.

Not every teacher is as nice as Mrs. Smith.

Do you think I knew about an upcoming Science test? My mind screams no as I stare at another equation, but this time involving a good portion of letters and variables.

I hope for the better when giving out the paper – but Mr. Jones' eyes skimming through the answers tell me everything. Another retake. Damn it.

Have I ever mentioned that being sick sucks? Well, there you go again.

I groan and bump my head against the table.

Doesn't help with the headache though.

I wince and reach for the Math notes again.