Anna

Anna arrived at Sara and Kenney's  house . They were having a little party for their anniversary . They had invited a few close friends . Anna was determined to have a good time . She had been miserable for months , she needed to feel good about herself for just a few hours .

Sara opened the door .
Sara : WOW!  You look stunning .

Anna : Do you really think so ?

Sara : Yes !
Kenny : Yeah you look great Anna ! We're glad you're here .

Sara : Where is your overnight bag ? ( Sara took her bag and put it in the guest room . ) We're  going to get plastered . You just relax and forget about everything tonight .

Anna looked around , there were already a few people here . She knew a few people from their college days . There were a few people she didn't know .

Kenney : Did you meet everyone?

Anna : I think I know some people . Some people are new .
Kenney : Come on let's mingle .

Kenney introduced her to a few people . She knew the others .

Anna : Let me see if Sara needs any help .

Kenney nodded . Anna headed into the kitchen .

Sara was arranging drinks on a tray and standing next to her was a man with curly shoulder length hair . Sara was laughing at something the man was saying .

Anna : Do you need any help ?

Sara turned around : Anna ! Have you met Julian ?
Anna this is Julian , Kenney's childhood friend . Julian this is Anna, my best friend !

Julian : Nice to meet you . Julian stuck out his hand .
Anna : Nice to meet you too . She shook the offered hand . Julian was a handsome man with dark curly hair and chiseled features , he was tall , but not overwhelming .

Julian seemed a little flustered . Anna was a bit flustered as well .

Sara : Come on guys . Let's get these drinks out there . 
Julian swiped one and downed it in 3 gulps .
Anna : I feel like doing the same .
Julian : What's stopping you ?
Anna : Nothing . ( she grabbed a drink and gulped it down as well ) . She laughed . Julian just smiled at her . Anna felt warm inside , she wasn't sure if it was from the drink or because of Julian's smile .

The evening was a huge hit . It was good to celebrate something . Anna felt relaxed . Julian seemed to be gravitating towards her .
After everyone left , Anna and Julian helped to clean up .

The four of them collapsed in
the living room.
Julian : How are you going to get home ?
Anna : I'm spending the night . I thought I might drink so we just decided in advance that I'd stay .
Julian : Lucky me . ( he smiled again and that warm feeling was there again )
Anna smiled at him too : What about you ? How are you getting back ?
Julian : Walking , I just bought a house in the neighborhood .
Anna : Congratulations !
Julian : Thank you , I just started my job here and when I told Kenney I was moving here he insisted that I buy in this neighborhood so our sons could be childhood friends like we were . Of course Sara convinced me that the schools were great and that it wasn't too far from the hospital .  I am an ER doc . So I have to be able to get the hospital quickly sometimes .

Anna ( looking down) : That's great . Does your wife like the neighborhood too ?

Kenney : Actually , Julian is a widower , his wife died in a car accident a few months after Alexi was born .

Anna : Oh ! I'm so sorry . I didn't know .

Julian : It's ok, how could you have known ?

Anna : Still I'm sorry , it was insensitive of me .