Chapter 8

"I um...I instigated the fight..." he answered quietly.

Jimin POV

So many thoughts were running through my mind at the moment and I was struggling to wrap my head around his words. My gaze drifted over to the sofa as I attempted to calm myself down. I felt confused and hurt, because I was so convinced that I was to blame. Sure he said that I wasn't, but he never told me he was the one to start it either.

My former informant lost their life when the gang realized that he was snitching on them for a cop. So, the very thought of Jungkook dying because of me terrified me to no end. There's no way I could handle another loss like that... I sighed as I ran my fingers through my hair in exasperation. Even though I was angry, I knew I needed to hear him out first before jumping to conclusions.

"What do you mean you instigated it?" I questioned sternly as I finally looked at him. Jungkook flinched slightly at my voice, his gaze lowering to the floor as he began explaining.

"Well-I...I overheard them talking about you. They were discussing how they were going to punish you for meddling in their business. Tyler said that they were going to attack you a-and torture y-you for information," Jungkook replied quietly. I still didn't understand how it was his fault, but I remained quiet as he met my gaze again. "I couldn't stand back and let them hurt you, so...I barged into the back room to confront them."

"Jungkook!" I gasped.

"I just wanted to convince them not to hurt you... I begged them to find another way, but they wouldn't listen! I was about to call and warn you when one of Tyler's men came in showing the picture he took of us. So that's w-when, Tyler decided to send you that email and beat me up..." Jungkook finished, his words trailing off slightly towards the end.

"I can't believe you..." I said in utter disbelief. He smiled shyly as he let out an airy laugh. "It's not funny, Jungkook! I mean you...what if-what if I-I didn't make it in time?" I asked in a firm tone.

"I'm sorry, okay?!  I-I...I was just trying to protect you." I stayed there briefly with a blank expression as I examined his face. I was pretty good at reading people and his response seemed genuine. I gave him one last glare before my body finally relaxed.

"You really are stupid," I muttered as I laughed dryly.

"I know," he answered bitterly as we stared at one another.

"You do realize I'm a cop? I can take care of myself, you know? I know you think I'm not capable of handling myself but-"

"No, I wasn't thinking that at all!" Jungkook exclaimed as he cut me off. "I know you can handle yourself. You proved that to me ages ago..."

"Okay, well then why did you put yourself in danger like that? You've never done anything like this before."

"Because when I heard them plotting against you I just- I just acted on instinct. I...I don't really know why..." Jungkook responded back, his voice laced with uncertainty. I brushed back my hair nervously as I searched his eyes, feeling slightly overwhelmed from his words. "So, am I forgiven?"

"...I suppose," I muttered as I moved to reach for the new bandages. "Just don't ever do that again," I ordered sternly as I squinted my eyes and pointed my index finger at him.

"Alright."

"I'm serious."

"Alright, I got it!" he insisted defensively.

"If you ever pull that again, I'll punch you myself."

"Oohh~...I don't think I'd mind that," Jungkook joked as he wiggled his eyebrows. I shook my head at his ridiculous remark, cracking a smile as I began arranging the new bandages on the coffee table.