Chapter 12: Reality of a Nightmare

The next day,

As I sat alone on the ship, I could still feel Law's lingering touch from the night before. The way he was able to cover my body with his. I reach down to my waist, wrapping my arms around, 'geez, I wasn't always this thin' I had lost weight and muscle mass. I was kinda happy there wasn't a mirror on board, I didn't want to see what I had become and besides the ocean waves acted as perfect reflection; enough to see, but not enough to show.

I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to comb apart the knotted strands.

"Ugh! Dang saltwater destroying my hair! When I get back home, I should just shave my head and start fresh with a new head of hair", I said with a huff.

I stared down into the water, it was crystal clear. The turquoise liquid glistened beneath me. From the boat, I could see what appeared to be colourful rocks, sand patches, and small gardens of seaweed on the ocean floor. Maybe it was the heat talking, but I bet I could swim to the bottom with ease. Over the past few days, my mind had become restless. I tried to think of things I could do, one of which was getting more food. I stumbled upon the idea that I could pull seaweed, clams and whatever else I could find from the seafloor. Now sure I could have just asked Luffy to go down and get it for me, but I wanted to be proactive and do it myself. After a quick warm-up stretch, I climb down the ship's ladder. Lowering myself in the warm tropical water. I bobbed up and down, submerging my head to get comfortable. I looked down, through the surface, setting my goal on a cluster of rocks. I prep myself, taking a few deep breaths, before diving down. Even with my eyes open, the water was still slightly blurry. The water was deeper than I originally thought, however, I still made it to the bottom. My head turned from side to side, looking for anything I could grab before my air ran out. I saw a crab scurry across the bottom, I immediately swam to grab it. I held it in my hand, pitching on the back side of its shell, away from my body so the claws couldn't pitch me. I dashed back for the surface, heading towards the latter, however, something caught my eye, but I would come back to that later. When I broke the surface, I grabbed the latter, crab still in hand. I scurried up, reaching for my knife, I quickly stabbed the crab head, killing it instantly.

Looking the crustacean's body, I had a new sense of joy! "I did it! I killed a crab!" I yelled triumphantly. Then I heaved over. Catching my breath after such an exhilarating moment. I jumped back in the water, excited to try again. But it was then that I remember what had caught my attention. I swam back towards the latter, dunking under to see what was around. Attached to the bottom of the latter was a green cord of seaweed. 'What the?...' Grabbing the seaweed it felt a poorly braided rope.

'Could this be what was keeping me from drifting to an island' I thought? I gasped down a few deep breaths before submerging again, this time following the seagrass. As I swam deeper, I could see what looked like two knots, tying separate lengths together into some form of a rope. Finally, at the base was a large plant and root, other pieces of seaweed seem to act as securing ties, holding the main rope tight.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, someone had anchored my ship. I return to the surface. Gasping for breath. 'Who would do such a thing and why?' I thought. 'What would be the purpose of keeping me in one place?'. My hands balled into fists, I was shaking in anger.

I climbed the latter and the ship's edge. My brain started searching for who was responsible. 'Luffy is always with me, and he is super clingy, but no, he doesn't seem capable of such an act.' I doubted myself. 'What about the rest of Luffy's friends? Nami and Robin seemed so nice, and Zoro didn't look like he cared in the slightest, but what about Sanji? He was creepy, but apparently harmless. Was he the kind of guy to lock the princess in her tower? And what about Law? The guy who tried to kill me when we first met. What if all this time he just wanted to keep me as a lab rat?!' And then there was the unknown factor, this could have been the work of some random creatures, and my 'friends' could be completely innocent. But how could they not know about this? I mean they're underwater 24/7, if it took me this long to notice, could they have known all along and said nothing? "I don't know who to trust anymore" and said aloud sniffling. "All I have left is myself" I wiped a few stray tears, and took a deep breath.

"No more trusting, I have to do this on my own," I said with passion. I reached for my knife against the corner wall. Grabbing it, I plunged back into the sea. I wasn't gonna let my capture win. I took a deep breath and followed the seaweed rope down to the bottom. Knife in hand, I started slicing away at the rope, breaking it free and the bottom. I returned to the surface. I returned to the anchoring knot tied to my ship and I began slicing it till the kelp broke. I held onto the end. I pulled myself up once again and started gathering up the rope.

'If they're gonna keep me hostage, then I'm taking their rope as compensation for this shit' I thought, huffing as I pulled the heavy wet kelp on the ship. It felt a breeze rustle against my wet hair. It felt like freedom. Luffy, Law, Zoro, Chopper, Sanji, Nami! It didn't matter who, I was finally beginning the journey home. My knife slipped against my body, opening up a light long cut along my thigh, ruining the joyous moment. I hissed in pain, as the blood began to spill out, mixing with the trail of seawater running off my boat and into the sea. I dropped everything and bent down to examine the cut, it would need stitches, but it would need to be disinfected and patch up. Taking off my shirt, I press the cloth against my leg, hoping to slow the bleeding. I enter the pod, searching for a first aid kit. Thankfully I found it propped up in the corner, I sat down, laying my leg out straight. I popped open the first aid kit and found some old bandaids, cotton pads, disinfectant wipes, medical tape, and co-band wrap. First I ripped open the disinfectant wipes, and peeled my shirt away from my lightly bleeding wound, at least it slowed down. I pressed the wipe against my cut, the burning sensation was agonizing, I bit my lip and took the pain. Once the entire length of the cute was disinfected, I pressed the cotton pads against it, ripping a piece of medical tape, I stuck the patch to my leg. I sighed with relief and sat back to admire my work.

I was really becoming one of those tv survivalists, wasn't I? I could feel the pull of my body weight against my joints bringing me back to reality. Has what I experienced today even been real? Obviously, it was, I couldn't deny the facts.

Amazingly, it was still just coming afternoon, I couldn't believe all that happened in such a short time frame. Hearing the aching call of my body, I climbed halfway into the pod, with my head on the pillow. Just a little nap, that's all I needed, just a few minutes of rest I told myself. If only I listened.

When I woke up, there was a lovely orange glow in the sky. The sun was just barely touching the water's edge. Rubbing my eyes, I yawned. 'The rope!' I thought. I had stopped pulling it onboard after I cut myself. I need to finish pulling it up before the current dragged it away, that is if it already wasn't gone. Thankful the majority was still sitting on the ledge. Taking a seat beside the rope pile, I let my calves dip into the water. I pulled in the rest of the rope, wrapping it up like a garden hose. I used my knife to cut off the smaller securing leads to be used for later. The cooling touch of the ocean made my task peaceful. If only I could have known that this was the calm before the storm.

In a flash of grey, a spray of blood erupted from my right calf. The searing pain mixed with adrenaline ripped through my body. I screamed for mercy, as its teeth sunk into my flesh and held tight. Attached to my leg was a bull shark, It thrashed its head, trying to tear my leg off. I couldn't get away, the shark's jaw bit deep into my leg. My blood-stained the water. I fought frantically, my free leg kicking, hoping to land a hit on the shark. My foot collided with the shark's head, stunning it. I took the chance, cutting the water and the shark with my knife. Both my and the shark's blood mixed in the water. My lungs screamed air. Finally, my mouth opened, inhaling the oxygen I so desperately needed. The shark's jaws remain clamped around my leg, yet the fish's body was motionless, most likely dead. My body stiffened and ached. I pulled myself away from the water, to the middle of the boat using all the strength I had. I collapsed on the deck, my breathing heavy. I looked down at my leg, blood seeped out at an alarming rate. I sat my back up, my hands grabbing on either side of the shark's jaws, pulling the mouth apart. Once free, I tossed the body on the ship, teeth were stuck in my leg. I had to slow the bleeding. I took off my shirt, exposing my bare chest. Despite the pain, I wrapped it tightly around my leg. I fell onto my back staring up at the same orange sky, exhausted, dizzy.

Tears rolled freely down my face, "No No No!' I screamed, "Why? Why now? When I was so close" Sobbing loudly,

'Is this how I die? Alone on a boat', I thought, with the sun and moon looking down on me.

"Luffy, Law, Anyone!" I breathed out, lone tears sliding down my cheeks, "please save me..." I said, closing my eyes.