Chapter 4: From Dawn till Dusk

(Reader)'s POV:

"(Reader)!" a familiar voice calls out, "wake up!" Luffy says getting impatient. He rocked the boat back and forth in a dizzy motion. Quickly I threw on a spare shirt, and exited the pod, stumbling outside. 

Luffy stops rocking the boat, "ah there you are, I was starting to think I was gonna have to drag you out". 

I stretch my arms and back and let out a yawn, "I promised I'd be here, and I am" I say, throwing my legs over the railings, my toes dipping in the sea. Luffy swam closer, taking my left foot in his hands. He examined it, poking at the sole, causing me to giggle. Luffy quickly let go, thinking he'd hurt me. "I'm sorry" he mumbled, "Luffy that didn't hurt, it just tickled" I laugh. For a moment Luffy looked confused, he shook his head, brushing it off. 

"Well, I'm glad you're up, I have so much to show today!" Luffy says with excitement laced in his voice. 

"O-okay, but let me eat something first" he nods, I reach into the pod grabbing the canned food. I open it with the knife. I guess I forgot how hungry I was, with all the weirdness and excitement from yesterday. Luffy watched me eat with curious eyes, he'd ask a question every minute, delaying me from my meal. I wish I could eat the whole can, but I stop at half, and put the rest back in the pod. I take a big gulp of water, then close the bottle.

I turn back to Luffy "all right, now that I won't starve to death (yet), What did you want to show me?" I ask. Luffy spent all morning bringing different objects up from the ocean. For his amusement, I pretended to not know what somethings were, even though I knew more about how a pearl was formed than he did. It seemed to make him happy, and as long as I had someone to talk to, I was happy too. In the afternoon, Luffy then said he had some work to do, but that he would return before nightfall. 

But before he left he said something odd, "don't you go anywhere," Luffy said, I nodded at him jokingly, It wasn't like I could stop drifting. 

"You're staying right here." I heard Luffy mumble before diving back down into the ocean. Huh? What did he mean by 'right here'? I can't control where the current pulls me. I kept repeating what Luffy said over and over in my mind, eventually, I wore myself out, and figured I would just have to remember to ask him when he returned. I spent the rest of the day fishing, and fiddling with the compass. Over the next 4 hours, I only managed to catch one fish, but something was better than nothing. The sun was beginning to dip over the horizon, Luffy hadn't returned, and I was starting to doubt that he would come back ever again. My mind wandered as I sat leaning against the pod. Thinking about all the things Luffy told me, 'everyone I know has a tail' does that mean I'm the only human? 

"(reader), (reader), (reader)!" I was pulled from my thoughts when salt water splashed my face, wiping it away I saw Luffy, smiling like an idiot. "Geez (reader), were you even listening?" Luffy said. "Sorry Luffy, I was just lost in thought," Luffy shrugs, accepting my apology.

 "What have you been up to (reader)?" Luffy asks. 

"Nothing really, just fished and fiddled with the boat, oh that reminds me, Luffy what did you me-" I was interrupted. 

"Here you go (reader), this is for you" Luffy hands me a sand dollar. "Thank you," I said, taking it from him.

"Listen (reader), I have to go, but I'll be back again tomorrow morning" He left without letting me say goodbye. I crawled back inside the pod, and tried to make myself comfortable in the tight space. I struggled to fall asleep, tossing and turning, before my eyes finally shut for good. 

Luffy's Pov:

I spent all morning showing (reader) the things I had collected from last night. Pearls the size of her head and starfish that glowed in the dark. (reader) was amazed by the Den Den Mushi, apparently she'd never seen a snail that could be used for communication. (reader) said humans use flat rectangles as communicators, how weird. As much as I wanted to stay and talk with (reader), I had promised to meet with Zoro and Nami this afternoon. I waved goodbye to (reader), telling her I would return later. I checked to make sure the seaweed was still holding the boat, then swam off thinking about (reader).

"Luffy there you are, you're late," Nami said, as I swam into the room. 

"Sorry I was busy," 

"busy? What were you trying to befriend that dolphin again?" Zoro asked me. 

"Oh ya, I forgot about him. No, I found something much more interesting," I said, trying to contain the excitement hidden behind my words. 

"Luffy, just tell us where you got the meat from," Nami said, pulling out her maps. "You'll never believe it, I met a girl with 4 arms!" they both looked at me strangely. 

Zoro spoke up "Are you sure you weren't just stung by a jellyfish again?"

"No, (reader) is real! Instead of a tail, she has these longer arms called legs" I reply. "Luffy, how can you be sure (reader) is real? I mean you could have easily mistaken her for seatur-",

 "No (reader) is real! I've been seeing her everyday!" I interrupted Nami. As I was arguing with Nami and Zoro about (reader)'s existence, Law swam in, he almost went unnoticed if it wasn't for Zoro greeting him. 

"Luffy let's just leave this alone okay?" Nami asked me, I nodded my head. though, I was still upset, how could they not believe me? 

"Good, finally we can finally begin," Nami said. Over the next few hours we discussed plans, but all I could think about was getting back to (reader). As soon as I could I swam off, hoping I would catch (reader) before she went to bed. 

Law's POV:

As I entered, I could hear Luffy and Nami in a heated argument, I assumed they were talking about something pointless. 

"No, no, no! (reader) is on a boat! It's like a floating rock but flatter," Luffy said, "Luffy there is no such thing as a floating rock" Nami battled back at him. 

"Law," Zoro greeted me with a wave. I simply nodded back in acknowledgment. Nami calmed Luffy down after realizing I had arrived. Luffy seemed distant, which was unusually for him. For the first time in a long time, I could finally hear myself speak. Once the meeting was over, Luffy dashed out in a hurry.

"Ughh, there he goes, right back to '(reader)' or should I say the jellyfish patch" Nami said with a sign "mmh?" I questioned what she meant by that. 

"Oh nothing, he was just rambling on that he'd met a girl with 4 arms" Nami said, "he must have been hallucinating," Zoro replied.

 A girl with 4 arms? How weird, but knowing Luffy he probably ate some meat that had gone bad. Still his behavior tonight was quite odd, not once did I have to scold him or tell him to be quiet. Hopefully he didn't just swim off to his death, who am I kidding? That idiot can never die.