8

Irritated, he looked at Kakashi, was he serious? He was going to comment on this? Iruka withdrew his hand, pressed his index finger against his chest again and looked at him bitterly. "You know what? I don't care...pretend bar I was just a little distraction or whatever." he said angrily and then turned to leave altogether.
What was this cocky idiot thinking? That he could just kiss him and turn his entire emotional world upside down and now brag about taking someone else to the wedding? That he could break his heart again? No, not with him. Iruka might not know much about love and hadn't experienced any himself, but he didn't have to let himself be treated like that. After all, he also had something like dignity and honour!
Pah, that he didn't laugh, there had to be a way for him not to be alone at the wedding, even if it was only to smack Kakashi and show him how it felt if the Rokudaime actually had something like feelings.

Iruka 's way led him to Genma...Why not, he thought to himself, Gen was actually a really nice guy and he certainly wouldn't use Iruka just like that...First kissing him so incredibly romantically and then backing out. But before he could ring Genma's doorbell, the door opened and a pretty young woman came out of the other man's flat and said goodbye with "Bye, see you tonight my darling". Okay, had Iruka misinterpreted all the signs that the other man was gay or was this one bi after all?
In any case, he made room for the woman, gave her a friendly smile and allowed the door of Genma's flat to close again.

So he finally made his way to his own flat...which was empty and no one would be waiting for him....

-*-

What had he done there? Never before had he seen Iruka in such a bad mood and never before had he not smiled. And all he wanted to do was protect him. Had that perhaps been the wrong approach?
Kakashi looked at the flower he had bought and sighed softly, why was love so hard again? Oh well, it was never easy...He slowly walked home, where he first put the flowers in a vase and then went to take a shower. His thoughts kept circling around Iurka and his reaction. He had never wanted him to be so hurt and miserable. He also knew what he had learned from his past: to love always means that you have to sacrifice a piece of yourself and in case of doubt you would even give your life for the other person. Why was he so afraid of this? Was it the fear of what people would say about him? They had condemned his father back then too, just because he had made a decision that no one could understand. Kakashi leaned his head against the cold tiles and let the warm water run down his back. There had to be a solution, a solution that would satisfy them all and he realised that for that solution he would have to jump over his shadow and finally tell Iruka what was really going on, but he wouldn't be able to do that with a clumsy conversation...He needed the famous romantic gesture and for that he would need help. Because Kakashi himself was anything but romantic... That was one of the things he just wasn't into. He would probably get help from Anko and Kurenai, as well as Hinata and Sakura. The women had to know what was best to use as a grand romantic gesture.

-*-

That morning, for once, Iruka decided not to go to school, he didn't have any classes today anyway and his appointment as headmaster wasn't official yet. He was just tired and done, why did his heart feel so broken since yesterday? Kakashi bought flowers for someone else...with whom he also wanted to go to the wedding. It had been way too much for him and he had told him in no uncertain terms how he felt about it. Iruka wasn't really that kind of person, he always tried to clarify everything on a sensible level first, and yesterday? Yes, he had blown a fuse once.
And the longer he thought about it, the more tears gathered in his eyes and ran down his cheek. Why did love have to hurt so much? Why did this bastard also just have to kiss him on such a really more than romantic night and turn his whole life upside down?

Somewhere far away he heard knocking and someone calling his name, but he just didn't want to see or meet anyone today. He needed a day to himself, to recover... To get over it... To be done with it, as they say in all the books and films. Unrequited love is the worst form of love, he had once read somewhere and at that time he didn't know what to do with that saying, today he knew what it meant. Normally he was not so depressed and in a bad mood, he always had a smile, good advice or a sympathetic ear for everyone and everything... But today... Today he had to let himself fall into his emotional chaos...

-

Since he had been told that Iruka hadn't come to work, three days had passed and the big wedding was getting closer. Kakashi had also already spoken to the women and was first given a good telling off about why he had kissed him at all if he hadn't meant it seriously. Of course, he knew that the three of them were right, because it had been really stupid and absolutely thoughtless of him.
But after he had told them his concerns, they had relented and told him how they had been with their husbands back then, except for Anko, who still hadn't dated Ibiki and that would probably never happen. The two of them were simply too proud for that. Together they had spent half the day thinking about what he could do and had decided on one thing, but it just took some time to plan and organise, so he couldn't run straight to Iruka and tell him: I love you! Even though that was exactly what he wanted to do, take the brown-haired man in his arms, look into those wonderful eyes and tell him how much he had fallen for him, how much he loved him and how terribly sorry he was for all this, that alone would not heal such a wound and he had to do something more than the usual corny confession of love.
After they had finished planning everything and the women had promised him to take care of Iruka a little, he sat down and wrote down all his thoughts and feelings, tried to turn them into a proper text and that was not so easy. Since when had love become so complicated? He still remembered exactly how Minato had asked Kushina to marry him back then...without much bromborium and without much kitsch...very simple and very plain...And now?
Now, in order to apologise, to make amends, one had to think of all sorts of things....

I'm sorry that you had to wait so long :) But here is the 8th and penultimate part of my little story. However, an ErwinXLevi story is already planned (from Attack On Titan) :)

There will be a final word from me after the last chapter :)

Yours Rapha