The first ball

"Dearest Reader, the time has come to place our bets, for an upcoming social season. Consider the household of the baron Featherington. three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama"

Anastasia had nothing against the three ginger girls, apart from how annoyingly loud they were, and how the judged other when they were rather tasteless themselves, and how the little one always seemed to be around Colin. Ana didn't know why that annoyed her, but it did.

"In the household of the widowed viscountess Bridgerton, A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters

and in the house of the widowed Lady Audrey Williams, her only child is preparing for her debute, which had been put to the side for a few years due to her fathers dying wishes" 

Anastasia was nervous to say the least, she stood in front of the body length mirror as her mother stared in delight, and Lucy pulled at her dress to make it sit straight, she looked perfect.

"Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls." 

"it is only the queens eye that matters today"

***********************************************************************************************

Ana watched as the Featherington girls got called out first, feeling the nerves rise in her stomach noting there was only one more person in front of her, Daphne, it may sound selfish but she was hoping Daphne would be shown after her so the Queen didn't have too much expectations, Ana could not possibly compare to Daph, she was flawless.  Her mothers words repeating in her mind "it is only Featherington girls get lifted away after passing out and being replaced with Daphne who seemed to have a good effect on the Queens mood. 

It's quite nerve wrecking walking into the ballroom I was gracefully holding my mothers arm, everyone's eyes on me. That was until one specific boy had caught the corner of my eye. Colin Bridgerton. The young boy had always knew how to take any anxiety away from me whether it be feeling everyone's eyes on me or worried no ones got their eye on me. Yet this is what life is. Either marry for love or marry for reputation. What will the world come to if no one is to love their partner?

Anas thoughts were interrupted as her and her mother came to a stop, everyone's eyes burning into her back as Her Majesty took a long look before smiling "absolutely perfect" Anastasia felt like she was going to puke, but kept her head up, doing a curtsey and walking to the Bridgeton's with her mother, silently freaking out with Daphne.

***********************************************************************************************

It was the next morning and Daphne had invited me over to tea and then get ready for the ball with her, I had heard talk of the Duke being back in the ton but had kept it to myself, Lady Danbury hadn't told me if I could tell so I didn't

"seasons opening ball at Danbury house is the most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante, from park lane to regent street will be on display. titles, chaste and innocent"