1. An Uneventful Morning

Esme's phone had gone off every second in the last five minutes. She could feel the vibration rattling the objects in her bag, making them clank against each other. "Just give me a damn minute," she muttered, shoving her key into the lock on her office. The tip of her heel snagged on a pile of envelopes and papers that had been shoved under her door. She managed to catch herself but yelped when she rolled her ankle a second later.

The papers shot across the floor, a few of the folders sliding under her heavy oak desk. She tried to drop down retrieve them but had a tough time maneuvering in the tight pencil skirt. "Stupid skirt, stupid heels, stupid meeting," she grumbled as she finally hit the floor with a thud that would leave a bruise on her knees. She flattened her top half against the floor and reached her hand under the narrow space. Just the tips of her fingers touched the folders, pushing them further away. She let out a quiet sigh that sounded more like a whimper.

"What are you doing?"

Esme jolted upright, hand over her heart. Strands of dark brown hair slid free of her loose dutch braid to tickle her neck. If her cheeks hadn't already been red from the awkward straining, they would be now that she had an audience.

Nevaeh Wallace stood in the doorway framed by the fluorescent lights behind her. Her posture was relaxed, Esme imagined that was easy in the loose slacks she wore. She strode to Esme and crouched down beside her. "Did you trip?" she asked with concern.

"No," Esme sputtered. She reached up to push away a floating baby hair. "I just dropped a few papers under the desk." She leaned forward, trying to jam her hand further under the desk. It was as if they'd disappeared completely and when she pressed her face against the floor to try and catch a glimpse, she saw only dark. "Dammit, they're too far under."

"You could probably ask one of the janitors to grab it while we're in the meeting," Neveah suggested. She rocked gently back on her heels and rose smoothly to her feet. Her hand extended to Esme and pulled her up as well. Esme's rise wasn't nearly as graceful, but at least she didn't trip again. Or worse, drag Nevaeh down with her back to the floor. "Oh, um, your shirt," Nevaeh winced as she glanced over Esme's top.

Looking down, Esme groaned. The front of her pink blouse was streaked with dust and a stray cough drop. She pulled the sticky cube free and dropped it into the trash with a small shudder. When was the last time she'd even had a cough drop? "This is going to be a great first meeting."

"We can fix it," Neveah gripped her hand, a hint of pity in her blue eyes.

That look of pity had been a common one on Esme's life the past few months, she'd have thought they would be done with that by now. Esme squirmed under her gaze. "I'll just turn it inside out or something."

Nevaeh's eyes suddenly widened, and she circled Esme. "That's ridiculous, wait here. I have something that should work," she ordered and dashed from the room. Her heels clicked down the hall, echoing back to Esme. Her phone again began to vibrate in her bag.

Esme jammed her hand in and ripped out the pest. The screen was riddled with messages from various office group chats. Most were from her team going on about assignments. There were a few that just read 'happy hour' in all caps. Esme opened it and gave it a quick skim before declining the offer to join. She slid open a text from an unknown number but immediately looked up when Nevaeh reentered and tossed a blouse at her.

"That'll fit, I'll see you in there," Neveah spoke quickly and marched back out and down the hall to the conference room.

Esme shut the door, inspecting the blouse as she walked over. It was a soft purple, a bit looser and more sheer than she normally opted for. The back left her sputtering and speechless. The back was made up of a thin panel of white crocheted lace that would dip inwards with her waist and flare out closer to her hips. Esme sighed but reluctantly decided it was still a better option than the dust covered pink one.

Her phone shook and scooted across her desk where she'd left it and she stretched out a half-clothed arm to take it. Her head poked through the neck of the new blouse and it stayed half in the shirt as she re-read the newest message. Nevaeh had just texted, asking if Esme would be there. Why hadn't she just asked when she was here a moment ago rather than asking through a group text?

She hesitated for just a moment before replying that she would make some time to stop by. The phone was silent, and she quickly finished changing before dashing out of the room and down the hall. Esme stopped a moment outside the large double doors to fix her hair and clothes before slipping inside.

Someone whistled under their breath. Esme turned her head sharply to glare at Easton leaning against the coffee table by the door. "Isn't that one of the shirts for the fall line? How'd you get a hold of that?" he asked.

Esme glanced down at it with raised eyebrows. "Is it?" She tried to feel the back of the neck for a tag and felt only smooth fabric. "Neveah leant it to me."

"Didn't realize she played favorites," Easton chuckled and stepped away with his plate of pastries. He took a seat midway down the table beside Nevaeh who glanced at Esme with a slight smile.

Before she could return the smile, Esme's phone went off again. She dismissed the message from the unknown number and took her seat, shifting in the chair nervously. This was her second month at the company, but her first meeting with all the departments. She'd been away at corporate training during the first and at a doctor's appointment during the second.

Briefly, she wondered if they had a secret code to talk to each other in, a shorthand that would leave her baffled and slack jawed. But that was silly. It wasn't as if she hadn't interacted with the departments before. Everyone had to check in with the photo department a few times a week. Still, there could be cliques, couldn't there?

The chief walked in a moment later, pulling her out of her racing thoughts. "Now then, opening spring edition," he began.