Chapter 11: I need you to come back

A week had passed and it was a few days before Christmas eve at the Davis residence. Luca and Mila had spent nearly every day together since their little trip away and it felt like things were finally back to normal. Mila folded clothes and placed them into her suitcase while Luca laid on her bed in a suit.

“so how was work?” Mila asked. “It was fine I suppose” Luca replied.  “I suppose?” she questioned. “Yeah, I suppose it was ok” he said looking at her as she just continued to pack her clothes. “You looking forward to Christmas?” she asked. “No.” he frowned “well why the hell not?” she looked up from her suitcase. “because!”

“Because of what?” she said continuing putting clothes into her suitcase. “you know why!” he whined. “Luca, get over it. I will be back for your parents new years eve gathering” “That’s ages away.” He continued to whine laying on her bed like a depressed patient in therapy. “Luca it is a little over a week away. Who knew you could be so whiny”. “Im not whiny” he protested. “yes you are.” Mila didn’t really want to leave Luca for a whole week either, they had finally got back on track and she liked where things were going. She was scared that time away and her friends might change her feelings, but she didn’t want that. She reminded herself it was only a week and she was going back to Atlanta to spend time with her granny no one else and she wasn’t going to let anyone or anything stop her from enjoying her Christmas.

 “Right, I think I have everything, let me check my list” Mila said as she close her suitcase.  She stood up and read the list and identified where everything was. Luca stared at her in amazement. He had fallen for this girl and all of her OCD ways, a week away from her was going to be the most painful experience but he had to do it. “Come to me” He said cutting her off. “What?” she stared at him? “Just come, now. I need to feel you” he whispered. Mila walked over to her bed, not breaking this intense eye contact she had with him. She lay beside him but he pulled her on top of him. In that moment he didn’t want to fuck her, he didn’t want to kiss her. He just wanted to stare into her deep brown eyes and remind himself he had found her and wasn’t going to loose her just because she was going away for a week.

“I need you to come back”

“of course I’m going to come back” she replied realising how much he was going to miss her. She didn’t say anything else, he didn’t say anything else they just laid there in silence taking each other in. after a while Lyra called upstairs for Mila to come and load up the car so they could leave for the airport. Luca stood up and helped Mila take her bags downstairs, where her mum and dad stood.

“Well, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas” Luca said.

“Ahh, and you Mr reed” Lawrence said shaking luca’s hand. Luca then kissed mrs Davis on the cheek.

Once he got round to Mila, he kissed her on the cheek and hugged her tightly. “Have a nice Christmas babe” he said before leaving.

Christmas morning was very joyful in the Davis house. Mila was the last to wake up. She went downstairs to her grandma’s kitchen and the kitchen smelt like heaven. Lyra and Mila’s aunties were throwing it down, making pancakes, bacon, eggs, fruit salad. All her cousins were up and the men of the family were waiting impatiently to begin eating. Mila loved seeing all her family gathered at Christmas time, it was becoming the only time of the year they all really got together and it was beautiful how well everyone got along.

“So Mila, I heard you and your man back together” Mila’s aunty Shelia pried. She was the nosey aunty who always wanted to get up into everybody’s damn business because nothing interesting ever happened to her. For some reason Mila didn’t actually mind. “Yes we are actually” Mila said proud of Luca and all they had been through. “Aww that’s good, how long you known him” Shelia asked. “Well, since we moved to New York really” Mila replied. “Aww that’s cute.” Mila felt real awkward now, being the centre of attention. She just looked over at her grandma who just smiled back at her.

After they stuffed their faces with breakfast every one opened up their presents. The kids were really excited and the adults less so. Mila didn’t get much but she didn’t mind. It was that awkward time of Christmas day when the food wasn’t ready yet and her help wasn’t welcomed in the full kitchen but Mila didn’t really have anything to do, and she needed to do something to distract her from missing Luca who she refused to keep texting when he was supposed to be spending time with his family. Her grandmother noticed her sitting alone on the sofa watching the little kids play with their toys and she came and joined her. “How’s my grandbaby?” She asked. “I’m good grandma, its so nice to be here” Mila smiled resting her head on her grandmothers shoulder. “I can see your missing him.”

“Yeah, I am. But I will see him soon I suppose” Mila replied

“yes you will but baby, you cant keep pretending you don’t feel it.”

“feel what?”

“in love!”

“what?” Mila said sitting up and staring at her grandmother.

“girly, don’t play stupid. Just because you pretty you don’t have to act dumb” her grandmother said in a strong southern accent. Mila just laughed.

“I will try not to.” He grandmother just kissed her on the forehead and got up, leaving Mila to really think about her feelings for Luca. She really did like him but love was a strong word and she had been taught to use it wisely. However one thing she did know was she was missing Luca.

Text: Mila to Luca

Message:

‘hey I really miss you, hope your having  a wonderful day xx’

Text: Luca to Mila

Message:

‘Hi, I miss you too. It’s nice, would be better if I was with you though xx’

Text: Mila to Luca

Message:

‘That’s good, I know, we will be seeing each other soon.’

Text: Luca to Mila

Message:

‘Trust me, I know we will be, have a nice evening  xxx’

Mila put her phone back in her pocket and began setting up the table, wondering what Luca was on about in his last text. She gave up questioning it and enjoyed her evening with her family.