Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel

Ben's traveling coach finally reached his Kendal estate just before dusk. Vivian had her head out the window gazing out at the gray stone mansion. He had informed her there were ten bedrooms, but from the front, it didn't look that large. Then he informed her they would fill his house with children in time.

As the carriage pulled to a stop, the doors to the manner opened and the butler stepped out giving orders to some of the male servants who hurried to collect their trunks.

Ben stepped down after the driver dropped the steps, then turned to lift Vivian down. When he offered his arm, cheers filled the air. "The staff is eagerly waiting to meet their new mistress. I have longed for the day I could bring you here."

Her eyes warmed at what he said. "I love you too, Benny. I'm thrilled to see my new home." She watched as more people came out and line the steps to the mansion. "There must be twenty-five maids," she said with awe. "Are all of them necessary?"

"To prepare the house for our arrival on short notice, I assume they hired more of the villagers to do so. The last time I arrived unannounced, the furniture was covered with sheets, not to mention how ill prepared they were for my meals. That is why I sent a rider ahead to inform them of our arrival today."

"Did you write a list?"

He gave her hand a pat. "I informed them I was bringing my bride to her new home and I expected her to be pleased. I also suggested they hire more help to see the job was seen to properly."

"You are always pleasing me, Benny." She reached up and felt her hair as they approached the servants. "I hope I'm not a mess. You were very insistent about experimenting with things you saw in our book."

"Didn't you enjoy it," he asked with a wink. When she giggled, he was pleased.

They grew silent as the approach the servants who curtsied. Those in charge of the household were introduced to her. When she spoke to the cook, she requested Earl Grey tea be prepared with a light repast. Ben suggested they be served in the library.

After the servants were dismissed, and Ben carried her over the threshold, he set her down in the foyer. The dark wood floors matched the spindled banisters and wide steps of the curved staircase. Tall windows beside the front entry allowed the setting sun to light the area. Two stories up, a crystal chandelier reflected light about the gold-colored cloth walls.

"This is lovely, Benny."

"I had hoped you would think so. Shall we tour the house, or would you like to freshen up? I could definitely use a bath," Ben told her. "The lack of rain made the roads dusty."

She leaned close to him to whisper, "I do hope the tub is big enough for me to join you."

"You will see that it is, and I will have a bath drawn while we enjoy our tea."

He led her down the hall to the library. A servant standing nearby quickly open the double doors. Ben nodded and gave him a dismissal as he led her inside the huge room. Bookshelves lined the walls to the ceiling two stories tall with a walkway circling halfway up. Each level had sliding ladders to reach the books on the top shelf.

"This should keep you occupied while I see to my paperwork."

She walked inside as if mesmerized at such a sight. "I thought my father's library was large. This is most impressive, Benny. I fear I will become lost in new studies. You must tell me if I ignore you for too long."

"I promise you that I shall. It pleases me that we will be sharing the same room. Tomorrow, there are some sights I wish to show you if the weather is pleasant. There is a pretty white mare with a golden mane and tail that I believe you will be most pleased with. Last year, I had a saddle tooled for you."