Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble

Later that afternoon, a rider arrived with news. Barrister Hudson sent word he would be arriving tomorrow with Bobbies to escort Talbot to London. He would also have his secretary with him to take down the deposition of witnesses for court. The news allowed his shoulders to lose the tightness from worry. He immediately wrote to Ben to prepare to come since Dalton said he was coming directly here.

It was also a pleasure to call for Quint and have the message sent to Kendal. Yet, when he walked inside his office, he looked less than pristine, which was most unusual.

"I've obviously disturbed you from something manual."

"Yes, Milord. The rugs had hay and dirt covering them. I was helping."

"I shall come and do my part as well." Radley handed a message to Quint and asked that a rider be sent immediately. He found his father outside with a racket attacking a rug that was hung over a rope stretched between the house and the stables. Such labor was most unusual to see, but he seemed to be enjoying the exercise.

Radley took a racket from a maid and sent her inside to see to other jobs. When Quint joined them, the dust really began to fly, their coughing started, as did the laughter.

By that evening, the bedroom rugs were placed into the correct rooms, the beds made with fresh linens, and the bathing rooms stocked. Downstairs, Quint was giving orders and helping move furniture to their original rooms. The dining hall was complete, as were the two parlors.

Radley never expected to find joy in seeing the rooms restored to their previous condition, but he did. Sadly, there wasn't a drop of liquor in the house to toast having the job done. When he stated such a fact, one of the men left. Twenty minutes later, he returned with a brown jug and proudly handed it to Radley.

One smell told him it was corn whiskey. He threw back his head with laughter and opened the cabinet door for glasses. To his surprise, the goblets were replaced with teacups, which had him laughing harder. "I take it the bar glasses are being cleaned?"

"No, Milord. They were found broken. I have listed them to be replaced." A crooked smile twitched on Quint's face. "None of the teacups were broken."

Radley's shoulders shook with humor as he filled the teacups. His father was also laughing as he began to hand them out to the men in the room.

"Herbert, I shall owe you a case in trade for this whiskey. You've saved the day," he said holding his cup up in a toast. He took a sip and gasped the moment it slipped down his throat. "Man, this has a definite kick to it. Careful, Father, you may need a pounding to breathe again."

He tasted the brew, his eyes grew wide and then he tossed it back and hissed out a breath. "That's the best whiskey I've had in decades." He held his cup out for more and Radley poured.

What Radley witnessed was the prideful grin on Herbert's face. So, he sucked it up and tossed it back. The result was comical and caused all to laugh as his eyes watered and his breath caught. His voice sounded as if it was full of air. "I can see that one must learn to handle such a strong drink. But I will say the taste is delicious."

His speech would have been seen as poignant if he hadn't coughed through it.

* * *

The next morning, Bogsley and Lewis joined Radley and Reginald went to hunt game. They left and hid near the watering hole in the forested area. But soon, Bogsley took off to lay rabbit traps. What he found were three men lying in a field on their stomachs watching the house with scopes. He snuck back to the others, and together they surprised those spies by cocking the rifles aimed at their heads. They were told to kneel with their hands on their heads.