Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth

The day was filled with questions as well as suggestions. Then Radley's father asked to join him on his trip back to Maywood in hopes of being of some help.

Such a request, even though his father had apologized, annoyed him. Because it did, he had to examine why he would hold such grudges. Parents often gave orders without explanation. The child was expected to listen and obey in respect to the elder who was expected to be wiser.

Nevertheless, at his age, Radley found his father to be irrational, but one look at the coaxing eyes from Charlotte, and he agreed. "We will need to borrow riding horses since mine were stolen."

"Son, with only the hope of finding anyone here, I rode my steed."

Radley was impressed he accepted the chance that he would find resistance from Vivian as well. "Then I shall ask Ben to supply me with one. As you know, this is your coach."

"I noticed," he said without showing further thoughts. "We shall need it to go to Kensingdale. "I believe Michael and Owen will take Ruth home in their carriage?"

"We didn't discuss it. But your town carriage is still there as is Ben's. They will use what is necessary."

Before they spoke of the discord between them, Alfred announced dinner.

* * *

By the next morning, Ben told Radley and Reginald that he would send word as soon as he heard from Dalton. Radley admitted he had hopes that he would come today. Though, his real concern involved leaving Charlotte behind. She stood outside waiting for him wearing a pretty blue dress. Her dark, silky locks had been tied behind her nape with a ribbon. He knew she was valiantly trying to hide her melancholy at his departure. He had equal despair, yet he was pleased she showed such sentiment.

He held both her hands to say goodbye. He knew his father waited in the coach with his horse tied in back, as well as a horse Ben loaned him.

"I wish I could take you with me, my sweet. You have given me strength during these trying events and it is far from over."

She rose on tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "It is not the thief that worries you. I believe you fear what you might say to your father during this trip. He apologized and sometimes, that is all we can do. I realize you wish to be seen as the man you are, yet he still treats you as a boy at times. Once we have children, you will see things with better understanding." She rubbed her thumb against the top of his hand.

"Radley, your reaction to his past rebuke concerning the big safe, makes me wonder why is it so important to you. Did you see it as belittlement?" His stern countenance was enough to tell her it was. "Perhaps you should consider your perception of him. I believe your father is a good honest man." She watched Radley look away. He did agree with her statement.

"As an unselfish man who loves his children, it would be important to him to try and give all of you the best advice he can. To do that, he draws on what he has learned in life. Most people have opinions concerning things. Allow him to have his. One day, you will guide your son on what you believe is good advice, yet it may not be. We are human, Radley."

Radley took a deep breath as he played with her fingers, then he finally looked into her eyes. "You believe I have been too harsh?"

"I am not judging you, husband, I am offering you another insight to truth. You forgave me for my behavior and the mistakes I've made. You loved me enough to want me. Love him enough to open your heart towards him. He did not wish you ill will. Try and see his concern and desire to want to help. There are many fathers among the elite who shun any involvement with their offspring. Consider that."