Chapter Fifteen: Playing With Fire

B ella and Nora walked down the marble stairs slowly. They didn't talk and the only sound to be heard was Bella's combat boots hitting the cold marble. Bella kept her eyes on the ground the whole time. She was too scared to look up and see what was waiting for her.

Bella took in a rattled breath and placed her hand on the railing, taking one step at a time. At the bottom of the stairs, Bella and Nora walked towards the throne room. Nora froze in front of the throne room and turned, looking at Bella.

"Thank you for showing me to be brave," Nora said with a small smile. She wrapped her arms around Bella and gave her a hug. Bella hugged back and patted Nora's back. Nora released Bella and placed one hand on the doorknob. "I always believed that we all had a purpose on earth. I believe mine was to create Renesmee."

"I was born to be used," Bella said, her entire body feeling numb. Nora gave Bella a sympathetic smile and her hand pushed open the door. Dozens of vampires were gathered in the throne room. They were all wearing red and black, with the V necklace around their throats. Bella and Nora slid past the other vampires and stood in behind a few. Aro cleared his throat and everyone turned their attention to him.

"Welcome. We are gathered here today to prepare for battle. A small coven in Forks has created an Immortal child." Certain vampires gasped in shock, while others smirked. "We must destroy this abomination before it reveals our secret to mankind. We will not go down without a fight. If anyone joins the Cullens, I will slaughter you," Aro said, looking directly at Bella. "Traitors will be eliminated from Earth where they will rot in the depths of Hell," Aro hissed.

"Aro..." Marcus warned, standing up. Aro turned his head and glared at Marcus. Caius rolled his eyes and stood up, walking towards Aro.

"Let us get this over with." Caius said with a growl. Vampires raised their fists in the air and shouted with excitement. The vampires rushed out of the throne room and out of the castle and into the forest. Bella and Nora were the last to leave. Nora quickly ran out of the room and Bella rushed after her but was stopped.

"Not so fast, Isabella," Aro said. Bella froze and slowly turned around. "If you pull any funny business on the battlefield, I will have you and the Cullens dead before daybreak." Bella nodded and ran out of the throne room. She caught up with Nora who was walking silently beside Felix. Bella took her position beside her.

Bella had never questioned the ways of death. She never questioned why it came at abnormal times or took the people she valued most in her life. But now, she was starting to question it. What would death feel like? Bella shuddered at that thought and shook her head, trying to rid of the bad thought. There was no use. She knew she was going to perish. There was no arguing with that.

~ ~ ~

Edward sat in Carlisle's study with a pen and paper. Everyone else was getting ready for the battle but Edward had stayed behind to help get Renesmee ready. Edward gripped the pen tight as he racked his mind for the right thing to say, Edward looked down at the paper and started writing.

My Dearest Renesmee,

I thought we would be safe, forever. I was wrong.

Ever since I held you in my arms the very first day, I could feel my dead heart beating. I never thought I would love anyone as much as I love you. You are completely extraordinary Renesmee, and never let anyone take that from you.

Inside this backpack is cash, passports and a little gift from Daddy. Jacob will protect you, my dear. Stay with him. He is your only hope to a life without monsters.

Renesmee Carlie Cullen, I love you and don't you ever forget it. Live life to the fullest and love, Renesmee. Love is such a powerful force, that it can conquer anything.