Chapter Seventeen: Safe and Sound

Edward held Bella in his arms, looking around him. Bella was weak and she needed animal blood straight away. His eyes watched each member of his family . They were slowly collecting themselves after the brutal encounter with the Volturi. Carlisle had his arms wrapped around his wife, hugging her tight. His chin rested on Esme's head, while his hand made soft circular motions on her back. He was also mumbling quietly to her.

Edward turned his head to see Alice and Jasper saying farewell to the Egyptian coven. Benjamin's eyes flickered over to Edward and Bella. He smiled and waved a hand. Edward smiled softly and raised a hand, saying goodbye. The next thing he knew, they were gone. The only remains of the Egyptian coven was their scent and footprints in the snow.

Edward brushed his thumb against Bella's arm, setting his gaze on Rosalie and Emmett. They were talking quietly to Renesmee. Jacob trudged up to Edward and Bella, turning his wolf head sideways. Edward analyzed his face and read Jacob's thoughts. "Yes, I believe that would be the best for her," He said. The wolf nodded and galloped off into the forest, shifting back to his human form. Jacob came back wearing tan shorts and sneakers.

"Hey Ness!" Jacob called. Renesmee turned her head and grinned.

"Jake!" she ran up to him with open arms and gave him a huge hug. He lifted her up into the air and spun her around, while she giggled. He chuckled and placed Renesmee down.

"Guess what? I'm staying the night!" Renesmee's face lit up and she grinned a huge smile. Her eyes trailed to Edward, who was producing a fake smile. Jacob opened up his arms for another hug, but Renesmee ignored him. She ran up to Edward and gave him a big hug.

"I love you Daddy." Edward smiled and shifted Bella in his grasp, so he could bend down. Renesmee placed a hand on his cheek, showing him her thoughts. She pulled her hand back and smiled, looking at Bella.

"Yes, Renesmee," Edward said. "I-We will always protect you." He said to his daughter, while his eyes trailed to Bella. "Momma and Dad have to go home. We will meet you there, sweetie." Renesmee."

Renesmee nodded and skipped over to Alice and Jasper. She raised her hand to Alice's cheek and Alice squealed, "I would love too, Renesmee!" Jasper picked Renesmee up and threw her over his shoulder. Renesmee screamed and giggled while Alice and Jasper made their way back home. Rosalie and Emmett walked up to Edward, clutching each others hand.

"Can you tell Esme and Carlisle we are going away for a few days?" Rose asked. Edward raised an eyebrow and Bella chuckled. He looked down at Bella who was covering her mouth, to stop her from laughing. Edward changed his focus from Bella to Emmett's mind and shivered in disgust.

"Try not to think about that stuff, especially around your mind reading brother," Edward said through his teeth. Emmett chuckled and clapped a hand on Edward's shoulder.

"We will be back next week, at the earliest," Emmett said. Edward nodded and the two quickly vanished into the forest. Carlisle walked up to Edward, Esme at his side.

"Thank you for having us, Carlisle," a voice called. Eleazar walked up to Carlisle and held out his hand. Carlisle shook it and grinned.

"Always a pleasure to see your family, Eleazar," Carlisle said. Eleazar nodded and walked back to his wife and family. Tanya stood in the snow with her arms crossed, staring at the Cullens. Kate was talking to Garrett and they were both laughing. In a flash, the Denali coven was gone. Carlisle exchanged looks between Esme and they both looked at Edward and Bella.

"Let's get you both home. Especially you, Bella. You could use a drink," Carlisle said with a chuckle. Bella giggled and Edward started running after his parents, back to their home.

When they arrived, Carlisle rushed into the house with Edward at his side while Esme held Bella up.

"Thank you Bella," Esme whispered. "You have no idea how much you have helped this family; you even risked your life for us. To be perfectly honest, I couldn't see Edward with anyone else. You are a part of the family now Bella," Bella smiled wide and hugged Esme.

"Thank you, Esme," she whispered. "You have no idea what your words mean to me."

~ ~ ~

Edward stood at the kitchen window, watching Bella and Esme hug. Carlisle walked up to Edward and placed a hand on his son's shoulder.

"Son, If you don't mind me asking, what did Alice see?" Carlisle questioned. Edward inhaled and smiled down at Bella and Esme.

"She saw many things. But there was one thing that stood out to me," Edward started. Carlisle glanced at his son.

"What?"

"In this vision, I was standing by a creek when a woman walks up to me. She and I are both wearing wedding rings."

"Who was the woman?" Edward looked at Carlisle and looked down at Bella with a crooked smile. Esme was talking to her but Bella's attention was on Edward.

"I'm happy for you son. You deserve all the happiness the world can give you." Edward nodded and started walking down the stairs with the plastic cup of animal blood, Carlisle not far behind him. He walked out of the house towards Esme and Bella. Esme shifted her weight, lifting Bella up a bit more. He could tell she was weak. She had a crack in her porcelain skin, on her left cheek. She looked like she was drained. Edward handed her the cup.

"Thank you," she said. She took the cup and chugged the animal blood down. Esme removed her arm, leaving Bella to stand up by herself. Esme looked at Carlisle then at Edward and Bella.

"We will be inside if you need us," she stated. She and Carlisle quickly rushed into the house, leaving Bella and Edward alone.

Edward took a step towards Bella and caressed her crack. The animal blood took its affect, and the crack slowly closed up.

"All better," Edward said with a smile. Bella wrapped her arms around Edward's neck and he pulled her into a hug.

"I want to show you something," Bella mumbled. "It may not work. This is the second time I've tried it." Edward raised his eyebrows, smiling Bella's favourite smile.

Bella closed her eyes, her lips parting. Edward watched her in amazement. "You're distracting me," She said with a giggle. Edward chuckled and took Bella's hand in his own. The white mist slowly lifted off of her mind and wrapped itself around Edward. She opened her eyes and looked up at Edward through her eyelashes.

"This is me," She whispered. Edward closed his eyes, reading her mind. He saw everything; her whole life replayed in Bella's head. Edward opened his eyes and looked at Bella.

"You are extraordinary," Edward said. Bella's shield snapped back to her mind like a rubber band and she smiled. Edward tilted up her chin to kiss her, but something familiar caught Bella's eye. Bella took a step away from Edward and took a step into the forest.

"Bella? Love?Is something wrong?" Edward questioned, following Bella. Bella looked down at the snow to see a piece of paper. Bella gulped and bent down in the snow and picked up the paper, unfolding it with her thumb.

We will be back. And we will have vengeance.

Bella gulped and looked up at Edward with fear in her eyes.

"They'll be back," Bella whispered. Edward bent down and held Bella in his arms.

"If they come back, they won't return," He growled. Bella nodded and slowly stood up, tucking the note in her jacket.

"We will have vengeance," Bella read.

"Oh, my Bella," he whispered. "So will we."

~ ~ ~

Read

Vote

&

Comment!

Sincerely, Burningbrightfire