The Hollow Queen P3

Agravaine was intentionally late to his meeting with the Sarrum, enjoying the irritated look the man sent him as he finally arrived, doing his best not to appear too smug. If the man had the audacity to make Morgana deteriorate in a pit for two years, he could wait a few minutes.

"Forgive me, I was waylaid." he lied, trying to sound at least a little remorseful. It was hard, considering how much he despised the man in front of him.

The Sarrum didn't look impressed. "Speak."

That wasn't very polite. Agravaine curled his hand into a fist, his nails digging into his skin. This was not the time to argue with such a powerful man, not when his most painful end was drawing so very near.

"I have a simple proposition." he said, meeting the Sarrum's horrid gaze. "One that would be mutually beneficial. You kill Arthur, I assume the throne, and in gratitude give over a third of Camelot's lands to Amata."

There was a moment of silence where the Sarrum simply stared at him, almost in shock, as if trying to see straight through the king's supposedly most trusted advisor. Agravaine was trained well enough not to fidget, but there was only coldness in the Sarrum's gaze, the promise of death looming at his lips. In that moment, he was certain that every single thing he'd ever heard about this terrible man was horribly true.

"You think the people will accept this?" the Sarrum asked after a long moment, finally giving in to his greed.

"I will be king. They shall do as I command." Agravaine stood as tall as he could, doing his best to look down on the ruler's shorter frame.

The Sarrum's fingers touched his sword. "And the knights?"

"They will remain loyal to me. They'll do whatever I say." Agravaine spoke quickly, knowing that this was absolutely not true. They'd probably put Morgana on the throne before him.

The Sarrum, however, simply nodded. "How do we kill him? The king is surrounded by armed guards at all times. Besides, he's a fine fighter himself."

"Guards who answer to me." Agravaine smirked. "You appoint the assassin, I will deliver the means. Although, I suggest not trying something too close range."

The Sarrum smiled slyly. "I have just the man."

"Then make him ready." Agravaine was sure he knew exactly who this cowardly traitor had in mind. "Arthur has proposed a treaty. The signing tomorrow will provide us with the perfect opportunity."

With that, Agravaine walked away, not particularly in the mood to be caught conversing with the deadly visitor to the city. Arthur would die tomorrow, as would the Sarrum. His only regret was that the troublesome Merlyn wouldn't be around to see it.

~

When Merlyn's eyes opened, it wasn't to the sight of heavenly lights, no gods nor angels nor pagan delights. The ground was cold beneath her, earthier than she'd thought heaven to be. The sky was dark, a cool breeze blowing gently against her face. She could feel all her limbs, her stiff joints aching softly. If she didn't know any better, she'd say that she was still alive.

"You're alive."

She turned her head, wincing at the pain in her throat as Daegal came into her hazy vision. He'd saved her after all, then. That was nice. Unless Morgana had killed him too, but she very much doubted that his would be the first face she saw in death. That would be disappointing.

Morgana... She had some sort of memory of her former friend, a presence next to her as her life had begun to fade.

"You'll be too late, now. Arthur will be dead by the time you return."