The Wicked Day P3

Hi everyone, thanks for sticking with me.
I've had a few people posting spoilers on earlier chapters of the story. I've deleted the comments, but please refrain from posting things on previous chapters if it gives away what happens later on. It's not fair on new readers, even if it's unintentional.
Thanks,
Abbie

Arthur tapped his foot impatiently, leaning against the hard, stone wall of the lower gate, doing his best not to shiver in the cold. He'd popped his head round the door of the crowded Rising Sun, but had failed to spot a familiar mop of raven hair, only Gwaine's drunken smile as he chatted to one of the barmaids. Apparently he'd be meeting the witch alone, not that he was scared, of course, despite the eerie fog whistling through the lower town. He'd forgotten how strange Camelot looked in the dark, hardly having time to examine it when he'd snuck out in the past. Standing there, so alone, everything seemed distorted, like a parody of the world he knew, the navy light only acting to hide his shadows. His guards had passed him more than once, but hadn't come close to spotting him, too focused on the warmth of their torches. Merlyn found solace under the moon and stars, found their light comforting. Arthur wasn't sure if he agreed, but there was something in the way they danced above his head that seemed so pure.

His thoughts drifted away from the deities in the sky, wondering whether the sorceress had lost herself in the maze of homes scattered across the lower town. Dragoon wasn't exactly his typical, murderous sorceress, treating him as more of an inconvenience than the son of a man who had purged her kind. There was something familiar about her, in fact, something in her eyes that made him trust her. Still, he wished Merlyn was by his side. She'd been strangely absent since Lancelot's passing.

Just before he lost all hope, he heard laboured breathing behind him, turning to see Dragoon stumbling over the ground. She spotted him a moment later, sending a crooked smile in his direction as she righted herself, acting as if there was nothing wrong in the world.

"I'd started to think you weren't coming." Arthur hissed, glaring at the sorcerer, annoyed by her arrogance. He supposed that this night could only go well for her: either she had the promise of freedom or the death of a brutal king. She wasn't putting her father's life in the hands of chaotic evil.

Dragoon sniffed, but seemed to settle into her sincerity. "I gave you my word. And here I am."

"Good." Arthur spoke firmly, edging into the mist. "We must hurry."

Arthur managed a couple of steps before Dragoon thought to interrupt his urgency.

"Hey!" she called hoarsely, staying rooted to the spot.

"I am led to believe that the king's palace is that way." she pointed at the castle, its towers just visible above the city walls.

Arthur did his best not to roll his eyes, but had to admit that he was fairly sure he failed. "I can hardly be seen walking through the main gate with a known sorcerer."

Dragoon looked affronted, glaring at him with a familiar disappointment. "So you are already going back on your word. You promised that I would no longer have to live in fear."

"You're forgetting that you have yet to heal my father." Arthur said earnestly, his feet itching to move towards the tunnel. "When you have, I'll give you everything I promised."

There was a moment where the prince thought that Dragoon was going to refuse, but then she nodded, gesturing for him to lead the way.

~

They made it into a dingy, unlit siege tunnel before Arthur's patience ran out, Dragoon's pace far slower than his own.

"Is this really as fast as you can walk?" he snapped, twisting to see that she was already a good few metres behind him.