ten

"So, I'm the drummer." Owen starts sitting down at his set.

"I'm base." Jeremy continues.

"I'm lead guitar." Charlie states.

"I'm rhythm guitar." Amelia says.

"I'm on the keyboard." Eliza says.

"No you're not." Owen says pointing his sticks at Eliza.

"Why not?" She crosses her arms.

"Because you know the song best, if we even have a sliver of a chance to win this, you need to sing your song." Jeremy answers.

"He has a point." Carolynn says. "I can do piano." She says getting behind the piano.

"Fine, but this song needs a male lead too." Eliza says looking down at her book.

"I got it. Highlight my parts." Charlie says holding up the music sheet Eliza had printed out for everyone.

She takes the neon highlighter and goes over his parts. She did that for the rest of them on where they needed to come in.

"Alright, let's get a quick run through." Eliza says looking up at everyone.

Carolynn starts everyone in.

"Running from the past, tripping on the now

What is lost can be found, it's obvious."  Eliza starts, but having a hard time finding the right key.

"Carolynn, can you go up an octave?" Eliza asks turning around to her. She nods, and plays a little sample to see if this was the key. "Yes, perfect. Okay, sorry let's go again." Eliza says turning around to the microphone.

"Running from the past, tripping on the now

What is lost can be found, it's obvious. 

And like a rubber ball, we come bouncing back,

We all got a second act, inside of us." Eliza sings in a soft falsetto.

Owen taps the boys in with his drums.

"I believe, I believe that with just one dream,

Away from who we're meant to be, That we're standing on the edge of-

Something big, something crazy, our best days are yet unknown,

That this moment is ours to hold.

Cuz' we're standing on the edge of great." Eliza belts stunning everyone a little at first, and then with a sudden burst of energy, everyone was into it.

Everyone comes in on their respective harmonies, blowing everyone of them into shock on how well they sound.

"Yeah, we all make mistakes,

But there just stepping stones.

To take us where we want to go, it's never straight, no." Charlie comes in smiling at Eliza, gesturing for her to come over to him to sing their harmony.

"Sometimes we gotta lean, lean on someone else,

 To get a little help, until we find our way,

I believe, I believe that with just one dream,

Away from who we're meant to be, That we're standing on the edge of-

Something big, something crazy, our best days are yet unknown,

That this moment is ours to hold.

Cuz' we're standing on the edge of great." 

Owen looks over at Jeremy noticing the chemistry the two lead singers were creating. They look over at the girls, and they too, had caught on quickly.

"...I believe, I believe that with just one dream,

Away from who we're meant to be, That we're standing on the edge of great." Eliza belts out in her head voice, making the belt sound so much more fluid.

As they continue to wrap up the song, Eliza dances around the garage laughing along with everyone, really feeling the music. Charlie walks over to Eliza's microphone and gets close to her face, causing her to jump back.

"Running from the past, tripping on the now.

What is lost can be found, it's obvious."  The two finished as only the piano was left playing, staring into each others eyes, lips barely an inch apart.

"Eliza, that was killer!" Carolynn jumps up to give the girl a hug.

"Guys, we were amazing. I'm starting to think we should really take this band thing serious. I mean we could be huge." Owen says looking at everyone from behind his set.

"With Eliza and Charlie writing our songs, we could be unstoppable." Amelia jumps.

"You got anymore songs?" Jeremy asks looking over at Eliza who is beyond shocked that she was able to finally finish that song. "El?" Jeremy says walking up to her and waving his hand across her face.

"Sorry, what?" She says looking at him.

"I said do you have anymore songs?" Jeremy repeats himself.

"Oh yeah, I have a fair amount. They aren't finished though. They are all ones my mom and I never got to get back to." She says looking at him.

"Well, with Charlie, I am sure he will be able to help you finish. He writes songs all of the time." Amelia says looking over at Charlie.

"For sure, say the word and I am yours." Charlie says smiling, quickly realizing he could have said something better than what had just come out of his mouth. Everyone looks around and starts laughing.

"Come on guys, from the top." Eliza says sending everyone back in to musician mode.

----------------------------------------------------

"Hey dad, I'm home!" Eliza calls her father as she closes the door.

"Hey, how was school?" He asks walking in from the kitchen.

"Great! Our new assignment for my musical performance class is stellar. We had to make a band with six people, of course our whole friend group made a band, and we have to do a battle of the bands next week! Whoever wins, doesn't have to take Mr. Jones final." Eliza explains, sitting down on the couch.

"Sounds like fun, sweetheart. What are you guys going to sing?" He asks, sitting down in his chair.

"Actually, Charlie and I finished one of mine and moms songs." She says looking up to her father who was in a state of shock. "It was like the words were flowing out, just like when I used to write with mom. And when we played, it felt like when we used to play together. Everyone was on fire, dad. You have to come." She says scotching closer to him on the couch.

"Wow." Oliver says taking in all of the information.

"Wow what?" She says looking at him confused.

"You are writing music again. I haven't heard you this excited about writing music in forever! I'm so happy for you. Of course I will be there." He says tackling her for a hug. "Come on, you got school in the morning." He says getting up and motioning to her room.

a/n: y'all, ten chapters in a day...wow i am digging my speed. lol, let me know how you like the story so far!

-kennedy