0.3 Chapter Thirty Eight

Thirty Eight

"Maybe we should head up." Annie looked up at the clock nestled in with unused cookbooks on the shelf and saw the hands pointed to just past eleven o'clock. The heavy rain had ceased to a light spatter out on the grass and the one oil lamp had dulled.

"Oh, Godric I didn't realise the time. Yeah, let's go." She slipped her hand in his and the two headed to the stairs. As they walked past the living room Remus suddenly stopped. She looked over at him with a puzzled face.

"You head up, I'll see you at breakfast tomorrow."

"Are you sure?" He swooped low to cop a quick peck on her cheek. She beamed at him before continuing up to her room. Remus stalked over to the sofa and sat with his feet up on the coffee table, not being able to conceal the grin on his face. James sat upright, adjusting his crooked glasses. Sirius was sat forward to, Peter still asleep. James cleared his throat as the two stared Remus down.

"So, uh- lovely weather we're having, isn't it?" Gesturing to the outside. Remus shook his head, the smirk still lingering on his lips. Of course, he was watching.

"Oh come off it mate, I know you were awake. Granted that meant you were too." He looked over at Sirius as well who raised his hands defensively. James ambled over from the armchair to sit next to Remus, slinging his arm around his friend.

"Well I wouldn't want to miss your first kiss would I?" Remus squirmed in his seat, resting his hand on the back of his neck.

"James shut u-"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! No one would want to witness that." Sirius chuckled from across the living room, curling a lock of hair slowly around his finger.

"Well anyway, was she any good?" Remus' eyes went wide and he spluttered. This seemed to grab Sirius' attention and he dropped the hair he was playing with.

"You what? Are you planning on snogging her anytime soon?"

"Oh! No, of course not I just want to know for, well, research purposes." James poked him with his elbow. "Go on, tell us we're your mates." Sirius nodded eagerly.

"Shove off, I'm not telling you but if you want to know about it so bad go ask her. I don't think she would appreciate you two prying in."

"Well, are you dating now?" Sirius asked.

"I- I don't know okay we've kissed what, twice?" Remus was hunched forward now, his gaze going between the boys and the crackling fire.

"So by that you mean you're too scared to ask?" James teased, jokingly nudging his shoulder.

"That's it, I'm going to bed if you still feel you need to know everything, you can ask Annie tomorrow." Remus' bounced back up off the sofa and James' threw his arms in the air, disgruntled.

"Don't be like that, mate - we were only joking," James assured but it was too late, Remus had already made it up the stairs. He went down the hall to his room, being careful to avoid the creaky floorboards he knew so well. Annie stood in the doorway of her room, wearing her dressing gown. Remus noticed the side-eye she gave him. He shook his head slightly, signalling for her not to worry. The two bid silent goodnights and retired to their bedrooms.

That night something was keeping Annie awake. Whether it was her new kindled fondness for Remus or the constant pitter-patter of rain against her window. It felt as if her body couldn't sink into the mattress and her eyes refused to get heavy. The constant turning of bed sheets and flipping around pillows was insufferable as she began to feel an itch across her body. She couldn't stay in bed any longer, she had to talk to Remus.

Annie slid out of bed and pulled her dressing gown over her pyjamas, heading over to the door. She pulled the door handle then stepped out onto the landing. Her only light source came from the faint moonlight seeping through the window by the bottom of the stairs, the rest was pitch black. She counted in her head, Remus' door was three down on her left as she came out of her bedroom at the end of the hall. She couldn't see the doors so she decided her best option was to count by touching the wall out in front of her.

She threw her hands out in front of her but overestimated how wide the landing was stumbling forward slightly but before she could drop she caught herself. This time she was more tentative with her steps and her warm hand met the icy-cold wallpaper. She trailed her fingertips along the wall, the texture changing from paper to hardwood. Annie then stopped moving. Her hands curled around the doorknob she assumed was the third door and twisted, sticking her head inside the darkened room. She hesitated for a moment, rethinking if she wanted to wake him up. After a moment of thought, she persisted and spoke softly under her breath.

"Are you awake?" Silence. Annie tensed as she heard no reply but as she went to leave the room she heard a grumble and the covers shifted.

"Hm?" She heard him mutter.

"I can't sleep," Annie spoke in a hushed tone. He grumbled again, this time letting out a surprised squeak.

"C'mere." He beckoned, his words slightly slurred due to the time he was awoken. Annie shifted herself onto the bed sliding under the covers to meet his touch. She felt her body soften when the warmth of his embrace met her. She didn't get close just yet but enough that she felt his breath on the back of her neck. Annie thanked him quietly and he responded again with a small noise.

Remus' presence felt like white noise, a calming reminder she isn't alone. Finally, her open eyes began to grow heavy and the bed cradled her into sleep. A reluctant pair of arms slid around her waist pulling Annie in closer. His chin nestled on top of her head and the two drifted off into each other's arms.

Annie woke up startled, her breath hitched as she sat forward. Her vision was blurry and to which she then slumped back down under the covers. The curtains had been opened and the sun was seeping through the windows and across her face. Remus' had obviously gone to breakfast as she was the only one there and his pyjamas were thrown across the armchair. Annie thought nothing of it until she realised peeking out from under his shirt was a dark jacket that she hadn't seen him wear before. Hopping out of bed Annie went over to investigate. Pulling away the shirt uncovered the black jacket fully. The leather jacket.

Annie began to take in her surroundings in more detail this time. There were open suitcases on the floor and a few posters on the wall. Realising what she'd done, Annie then looked to her right and saw a photo frame containing a picture of James and Sirius, a manky school tie, comb and a broken shard from a mirror.

Heading to the door she stepped out into the hall and began to count the entrances to the bedrooms.

"One... two... three-" Her hand wavered pointing to the doorway, "four." If it wasn't blatantly obvious then it certainly was now.

"Oh shit."

Hey everyone, I'm back from my very much needed one-month hiatus, hope you enjoyed the new chapter and I'm hoping to get back to the regular schedule again!

- Mia <3