0.3 Chapter Forty Two

Forty Two

In the dwindling days left of the Christmas holiday Remus took every opportunity to show Annie around his home town before they left for Hogwarts once again. The pair taking daily walks down the old Victorian promenade and wondering onto the sandy seafront where if they went relatively early in the morning or later in the evening remained quite peaceful and clear from hoards of tourists.

"There's always ten times more of them in the summer when the suns out and the sea can actually be swam in without risk of hyperthermia." Remus had remarked as they took an evening walk along the coast where a shell-pink and ivory sky grew more saturated as it met the horizon, only a few hours left of daylight remaining. Annie was disappointed she didn't have the chance to go swimming, instead having to resort to allowing her bare feet to swim amongst the shallow waves as the tide washed in and out gently. Like a gentleman Remus had offered to hold her shoes and socks, just choosing instead to stand back and watch as her eyes light up every time the clear water brushed over her.

"It's a shame." She frowned, "I've never been to a beach in the summer, I haven't even been to a beach at all until I went with you, maybe when I was little but I couldn't possibly remember." The idea of wading in a warmer body of water all the way up to her waist, sun beating down on her head and radiating across her skin was just what her body craved, preferably with all her friends there too, enjoying the serenity together. But the atmosphere was a much bleaker one as the wind struck her skin like icy bullets, the only warmth coming from her companion and his rather large coat he had lent her.

"You should come back and stay, in the summer." He offered, grinning as her face lit up, "I'd take you to the beach every day, there's always a fun fair further down the boardwalk and you could stay for as long as you want." Her heart ached for the offer to be to stay forever. Aberystwyth was one of the most beautiful places she had ever seen, including Remus' house that felt more inviting than the home that lay waiting for her in the summer once she was finished with the school year. She felt that she wouldn't even care about what she packed as she could start all over again in the place she adored so greatly. But she knew in her heart of hearts she would never get away for that long without some wild escape plan, yet in that moment, she chose to believe she could be free of her family. Even if it was just for a little while, it was enough.

"If you'll have me." Annie looked up at him hopefully to be met with an arm snaking around the collar of her jacket.

"There isn't anyone else i'd rather have."

Annie returned to Kings Cross Station with more than she had arrived with. Presents and trinkets she had collected from her holiday were packed haphazardly in a spare suitcase that had belonged to Lyle Lupin, generously gifted to her, L.L branded across the leather handle. Seeing as she was no longer in possession of the invisibility cloak, she was relying on faith to get her aboard the train. Soon they had waved Hope goodbye as they took their trip through the wall onto the platform, following a path through the heaps of students to get to the figures in the distance resembling their friends, who also stood on the platform. James and Peter slowly came in to view, yet no sign of Sirius. There was an array of hugs and rushed greetings barely heard over the deafening sound of the train. James hadn't heard from Sirius to know where he was so they played the waiting game.

Eventually shadows grew nearer and footsteps grew louder, faces appearing from the smoke, billowing from the train. Walburga and Orion Black, faces gaunt and pulled taught, not an ounce of emotion behind their eyes flooded into view, Regulus following closely behind and finally Sirius' face, panic stricken came into the light. He never was particularly happy in the presence of his family that was for certain but this however was a whole other level of fear, but not for himself. His eyes latching onto Annie's before desperately shaking his head in warning. This took her by surprise and she froze, trying to make sense of his undoubtedly worried expression. 'I'm sorry' He began to mouth to her before another shadow appeared from amongst the crowd, tall, menacing which eventually aligned with the grotesque face belonging to that of her father.

It was if she could hear a pin drop, she had been uncovered, usurped. Her heart plummeted to the depths of her chest. She twitched, realising her hand was wrapped around Remus' tightly, in view of her father. She instinctively pulled away, not to protect herself but to protect him, distancing herself as far away as she could as for him to not get involved in the mess she knew was to ensue. Before she had a chance to build up any walls around herself to shut him out, Cassian's bony hand gripped like a vice around her wrist and pulled her away from the comfort of her friends.

"Leaving school grounds, without permission from me? Going off Godric knows where, likely with some filthy half bloods you call your friends?" Venom seeped from every syllable he spoke, "How dare you defy me, who do you think you are? Can you imagine how humiliating it was to be told at my place of work my own child was missing from school with not even a note or explanation?" Her body began to shake from head to toe as each accusation grew louder and louder, his words like a knife shattering her ear drums, his lecture becoming unintelligible from the raw fear reverberating off her skin, yet never the less terrifying. "You have shamed me in front of my colleges for the final time, do you understand me? You are embarrassment to have as a daughter." He went to continue once again but stopped as presence behind her came into his view.

"Cassian Dean, old chap how are you?" A man similar to his age had pulled him into a hearty handshake.

"Fleamont!" He spluttered and mumbled, trying to piece together his composure at the sight of James' dad, who he must of known one way or another.

"I'm afraid there has all been one large misunderstanding, dear fellow. Your Annie, the bright girl she is of course, has stayed with us this holiday, her and my son are very good friends you see."

"Indeed." Annie had never seen her father so flustered or intimated in her whole life. Mr Potter's bravado and sheer confidence in the way he held himself seemed to spark insecurity in Cassian. She had remembered pangs of jealousy forming as a result of Mr Potter in the past, mainly stemming from the very comfortable lifestyle he lived after an extremely early retirement.

"We did send an owl to your residence to be sure you knew your daughter was safe, I'm sure that was your top priority after all, but unfortunately the owl must of stumbled across the way and gotten lost. It happens all the time, I ensure you no foul play here sir." Mr Dean simply nodded in response again as if they were saved by the bell, the steam train rang out, signalling it was time for boarding the train. "Here we are now, you won't want to miss your train Annie, I'd better board if I were you. It was a pleasure having you this Christmas, you were a delight." Fleamont sent her a subtle wink and Annie did everything in her power to convert her thanks through her pleading eyes. He seemed to understand and gave her a genuine smile, ushering her off to the train behind her.

She reached down to pick up her luggage she had dropped along the way, the initials on the handle catching the light and also the attention of Mr Dean. L.L shone in his eyes and his brow furrowed, looking up to see Lyle Lupin who still remained on the platform with his son. His eyes flicked over to Annie who had joined them and unbeknownst to her watched as she intertwined her fingers with Remus' before hopping on the train. Unlike what Mr Potter had previously affirmed, he most definitely suspected foul play.