0.2 Chapter Fifteen

Fifteen

The pupils filed in waves into the great hall, finding empty seats, shuffling across benches to make room and a general hubbub of excitement around a new year at Hogwarts, with a new set of first years to guide into greatness or for James and Sirius to torment.

The trio had stumbled across Sally on the way to the Hufflepuff table which caused a lot of rushed hellos as more and more people tried to fit through the doors in an orderly fashion. The four girls sat halfway down the table, two on each side and sat and awaited on the first years. Despite all the years prior, there seemed to be more empty seats.

"Don't you think it looks empty? I've never seen so many seats not filled." Annie asked her friends.

"It's all that business in the Daily Prophet, I think some parents are too frightened to let their children come to Hogwarts." Marie replied.

"That's mad! Lynn cried, "Hogwarts is supposed to be the safest place on Earth, especially with Dumbledore here."

"Well, that wizard who's causing all the problems, he uses dark magic." Spoke Sally, "I'm not surprised some parents don't want their children being away from them, especially-"

"Muggleborns." Marie replied bluntly. "Like me."

"Dumbledore would never let anything happen inside Hogwarts!" Annie comforted her friend. "There's powerful magic surrounding the whole castle, you're safe here."

"Safe for you to say." Marie scoffed, "You're a pureblood, part of the bloody Sacred 30! You'll always be well off, especially with that dark wizard. In fact, your family are all for him aren't they?"

"Doesn't mean I'm all for him!" Annie attempted to defend herself, "But you're right, I don't understand how scary it must be for you and your parents. I'm sorry."

The argument was soon forgotten and forgiven and they focused back on the Banquet. The shimmer of golden goblets and flickering candle light above heads gave the room that certain aura Annie associated with her true home.

Every day at Dean Manor stretched by over the summer in the most agonising and gruelling way possible, Cassian and Charles kept giving her more and more reasons to pack up and stay somewhere else, not that she would ever make it a foot outside those doors before being dragged back in again. Their house elf, Gilmosh was shaken ever since the death of Silvia and barely spoke to Annie anymore.

"Annie!" She heard a faint call from behind and turned her head to see the source. It was James, grinning next to Sirius like bumbling idiots.

"What?" Annie replied, looking over at Remus to see why they were smiling at her with full force but he just shook his head, obviously embarrassed with the two. James began to speak as the first years filed in and the hall went silent. He stopped and restarted, mouthing instead.

"You. Us lovely gentlemen. Back to the Gryffindor common room for some sweets and to listen to some music?" Sirius looked very excited and felt compelled to go or else she'd get grief tomorrow.

"Yeah sure," she mouthed back. "wait for me outside the hall, okay?" They nodded and turned their attention back to the front of the hall where the sorting hat lay upon the stool she had sat on herself all those years ago.

§

'And we must unite inside her
Or we'll crumble from within.
I have told you, I have warned you...
Let the Sorting now begin.'

The song had finished albeit with a sinister tone that had brought a hush over the hall, the pupils had been sorted, Dumbledore had wrapped up his yearly speech and there was a racket of scraping plates and empty goblets placed on hardwood.

"Do you guys want to come to the Gryffindor common room to hang out?" Annie asked, downing the last of her pomegranate juice.

"No sorry, I have to get the first years back to the dorms." Lynn slurred with two roast potatoes stuffed in her mouth.

"I don't think it's a good idea really, it's fifth year Annie and we have exams." Marie added.

"Yeah I know but not tomorrow! It'll be fun, see everyone before we have to get all serious."

"No one wants to get all Sirius." Marie smirked, popping a cherry in her mouth.

"Well apart from a certain someone." Lynn laughed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh would you look at that the tables are clearing and Roy needs me to get the first years to bed. I'll either see you in a few hours or I'll see you tomorrow, depending on how much fun you have." The three got up and started heading towards the door.

"Or if James whips out the Firewhisky." Marie added. Annie gave her a death glare as they split off in different directions. Annie caught up to Sirius, James and Peter and gave them a reassuring smile.

"Make good choices!" Annie could hear Lynn call from round the corner.

"Oh piss off!" She replied but Lynn was gone.

Sirius chuckled and draped his arm over her shoulders.

"Are they not coming?" He asked as the four of them walked up the stairs.

"No they're too good to hang out with their friends at seven in the evening."

"Well we don't need them to have a good time." James piped up.

"Yeah 'cause I smuggled a cassette player into my suitcase!"

"Would you shush! Filch might hear us, Wormtail!" James hissed and they turned the corner.

"I don't even know what a cassette player is but apparently it plays music even though it looks way too small to play anything." Annie laughed at this (who had also never seen a cassette player) and added,

"Wait do you think it's going to work? I thought muggle things didn't work ins-"

"Annie," Peter puffed out his chest, "It's going to work because it's amazing it's the greatest hits in a box." Peter smiled to himself, sighing. "So revolutionary isn't it? Next flying cars and living on the moon!"

"Whatever you say, Pete." Annie said, holding herself closer to Sirius as thunder began to roll in the distance. Feeling her body tense, he pulled her flush to his side, smiling to himself at the idea she was afraid of just a little thunder.

(Edited as of 12/12/22)