Chapter 2

I woke to bright lights in my eyes. My head was pounding, probably due to all the energy I had used yesterday. I sat up slowly, disoriented, ignoring the dull ache in my shoulder. After blinking a couple of times everything came into focus. Sitting up, I could see that I was on a small cot in what seemed to be a small lab. Across the room, I could see a man working on some kind of device. His brown hair was curly, and he had kind eyes. He seemed trustworthy enough.

​"Where am I?" I called out.

​"Fury calls it a helicarrier. You've been out for a few hours”, he answered, looking up from what he was working on.

​"Am I in a lab?"

​"Yes. You started to give off low levels of gamma radiation, so they moved you from the infirmary to here."

​"What about you? Not scared of the gamma?”

​He chuckled and I felt like I was missing some sort of joke, “I’m actually kind of immune to gamma radiation. It’s the least of my worries.”

I smiled, “I feel like I’m missing something there, but I’m going to leave it at that.”

“Did you dye your hair that color? Were you born with white hair?”

“Not exactly”, I said with a small smile.

“I feel like I’m missing something there, but I’m going to leave it at that”, he said, returning my smile. “I’m Dr. Banner, but you can just call me Bruce.”

“I’m Rayne.”

“How’s the shoulder?”

“It’s fine, I heal fast so I’m sure it’s a scratch by now.”

He raised an eyebrow at me, “You really haven’t heard of me? You're serious?"

I shook my head, “I don’t get out much. You wouldn’t happen to know where I can find Director Fury, would you?”

He nodded, “I’m pretty sure he’s in the control room. I can take you there, but no guarantees that I won’t get lost myself.”

I laughed, “Sounds good Bruce.” He led me out of the lab and after several long hallways and turns, we entered a large room filled with monitors. A large window gave a beautiful view of the sky.

​"Agent Black, good to see you awake", Fury said, addressing me. “Impressive work. You’ve come a long way with your powers since I last saw you.”

“Well, I’ve had plenty of time to practice. Sir, that spear. Is it of the same origin of the Tesseract?”

“We’re not sure as of yet, but if I had to guess, I would say it is.”

“Are you sure this is a good idea? Having me on the team I mean.”

“He calls himself a god, I would say you’re one of the closest things to matching his power. With you, our chances are better.” I didn’t let the frown show on my lips, of course he just wanted me here to use as a weapon. That’s the problem with S.H.I.E.L.D. and everyone like them, they were always wanting more power. That usually meant creating weapons they couldn’t possibly understand or control. H.Y.D.R.A. had already made that mistake in the past, and they had gotten themselves destroyed.

Monitors began beeping and a worker turned towards Fury. "We got a hit, a 67% match. Wait, cross-match, 79%."

​Caulson approached him, "Location?"

​"Stuttgart, Germany. 28 Konigstrousse. He's not exactly hiding."

​Fury looked over at me, "How would you like some more practice?"

I shrugged, “I suppose it wouldn’t hurt.”

“Indeed. I want you onsite, see if you can sense out if they’re keeping the Tesseract nearby.” I turned as if to leave, but Fury wasn’t quite done talking. “Oh and go undercover. You’re pretty easy to pick out in a crowd.”