Chapter 6

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter, but I hope you guys enjoy!

It almost felt like I was sleepwalking. My body was moving and functioning, but it wasn’t obeying my mind. I felt like a prisoner as I caught occasional flashes of everything going on around me. The same vision seemed to replay itself again and again in my head. Everything seemed so muddled and amplified in my head that I could hardly tell what was going on anymore.

I was locked in the cell on the helicarrier, chained down to some type of metal examination table. Various machines were hooked to me. I felt scared, and alone. Something was covering my mouth, preventing me from even speaking, all I could do was stare up at the ceiling  

Tony was standing over me, picking me up from the floor. He was speaking, but I wasn’t hearing anything he was saying. Energy crackled around my body wildly, engulfing my body almost like flames.

Pain surged through me as I felt the machines beeping to the side of me. Energy flew from my form as I screamed inwardly. Why were they doing this to me? I saw Tony’s face leaning over me as pressed another button on one of the machines, sending another surge of pain coursing through my body.

I narrowed my eyes at him and he took a few slow steps backwards. He had his hands up, telling me something, but I wasn’t hearing him. I wasn’t going to let him torture me, or use me. I raised a hand, sending a blast of energy flying at him. It hit him full force in the chest, his form flying backwards onto the balcony outside the penthouse. He seemed to skid across the walkway before tumbling over the edge. I peered over the edge where he had fallen, my sense of satisfaction disappearing as I saw him take off in flight.

I was in a stone room now, small enough to be a closet. Chains circled my body preventing me from moving. The room was dark and cold. The small slat on the metal door let in the smallest glimmer of light, just enough to realize how perpetually dark the cell was. It was like I was back in 1942, being held prisoner by H.Y.D.R.A.

Above me, Loki stood on a higher balcony where the Tesseract had been used to open a portal. Beside me, I saw Thor land, his attention directed towards Loki. Both of their lips were moving, but the strange ringing still sounded in my ears, muffling anything I could have possibly heard. Loki was staring at me expectantly, like he was waiting on me to say something. Loki leaped from his perch, landing between Thor and I. He lifted my chin, his emerald eyes staring deep into my own, his lips forming words that I couldn’t hear. I could almost feel his cool fingers on my face, but the sensation was fleeting. ​

“He’s dead.” The voice sounded loudly through the small room. I looked up at the small slat where the voice had come from. “He’s dead because of you”, Thor said, his voice a mixture of pain and anger. My body convulsed with sobs as I felt my heart break into two. He could only be talking about one person. “You’ll live out the rest of your days alone, and unloved. You’ll die alone and unloved. Just as you deserve to.”

I yanked my chin from Loki’s grip, my gaze focusing on Thor standing behind him. I felt the energy flare up and without thinking, I fired a blast towards Thor. He rolled out of the way before the energy could make contact, the energy destroying a few letters on the building. I stepped out of the way as Thor’s hammer came flying at me. It was almost like watching it in slow motion as it passed by where I had been standing moments before. Loki moved in front of me, using his body to shield me from Thor. He ran at Thor and tackled him, knocking them both from the balcony.

I was standing at the edge of a cliff. Wherever I was, it was dark, rocky and barren. I felt out of place, like living things weren’t meant to be here. Although I didn’t want to, I peered over the edge of the cliff, feeling my breath catch in my throat as I took in the site before me. Down at the bottom, I could vaguely make out Loki’s broken form on the stone. It was like I couldn’t breathe; I felt numb. Footsteps sounded from behind me and I whipped my head around, energy crackling in my hands at the ready. A tall figure approached, dress in black hooded robes. I couldn’t even see their face.

“Who are you? What did you do to him?” My voice was shaky, threatening to spill tears at any moment.

“I did not do this child”, the figure said, its voice coming out in low, even tones. “You did.” My stomach lurched, and for a moment I thought I was going to be sick. It wouldn’t have been the first time that I had an accident, its just that the cost was greater this time.

“No”, I said, shaking my head. “He can’t be dead. You can’t take him from me.”

“There is one way”, the figure offered.

I nodded, “Please, I’ll do anything. Just bring him back to me.”

The figure raised a gloved hand, pointing away from the edge of a cliff. A small path went uphill, leading to a raised dais.

A glimmering dome of blue energy encircled the dais.

“Take the power for yourself, and you shall be powerful enough to bring him back.” I turned to look at the figure, but they were no longer standing there.

Without hesitation, I started up the short path, almost running. In the center of the dais was a raised pedestal, upon which the Tesseract sat. Hesitantly, I pressed a hand to the barrier, but it felt firm to the touch. The energy looked similar to my own, which gave me an idea. I summoned the energy, bringing it out in full force to coat my entire body. I stepped towards the barrier, but this time I passed through as if it wasn’t even there. The Tesseract seemed to glow brighter as I stepped onto the dais.

Thinking only of Loki, I picked up the Tesseract with my hands. Bright blue energy pulsed from the cube, so bright that I had to close my eyes. I felt the energy coursing though me. Then the pain started. It felt as if my entire body was on fire, from the inside to the outside. The pain was so intense, I wasn’t even able to scream; I could barely breathe. The pain grew and grew until I thought I could no longer take it. Then I felt nothing.

The ringing in my ears gradually faded, bringing me a soothing sense of calm. I opened my eyes slowly, squinting the sudden bright light that filled the penthouse. All around me were S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, including Natasha and Barton, all of them with their weapons pointed at me. On the other side of the room, I saw Loki being hauled out of a crater in the floor by Thor. I went to raise my hands when I realized something was in my grasp. It was the Tesseract, but it no longer looked like the Tesseract. The glowing blue cube was now colorless, resembling a cube of opaque glass. The power was gone from it. It slipped from my grasp, shattering on the floor loudly, breaking the strange silence in the room.

I looked around at each of them, my brows raised, “What happened?”