Chapter 13

A/N: So sorry for the long wait, and for this super short chapter. I really struggled with this one. Hopefully the next chapter won't take as long and will be longer. Any feedback at all would be amazing!

Part 13

I could hear the roar of the crowd clearly as I readied myself in my private armory. The Grandmaster himself had seen to it that my look been updated; he couldn’t have his champion wearing Asgardian clothes to fight in. I wore all black, including the black, leather armor that I wore over it. Black metal bracers covered my forearms, but these were a more recent addition. When I sent my daughter to Earth the Grandmaster had these made to prevent me from summoning enough power to transport myself or others. They reminded me of the gauntlets I had worn on Asgard, although they didn’t block my power completely. He had removed the discs that electrocuted me. Instead, the gauntlets now served that purpose, but much more powerful than the discs had been. I tucked my hair into the hood of my cloak, pulling it down to conceal my face. The crowd’s cheers turned to boos, and I knew that my opponent had appeared on the arena, which meant that it was almost time to go up. I made my way up the ramp to the large opening as I heard my stage name called and the crowd begin to roar.

As I stepped into the arena I noticed that my opponent was closer to my size than per usual. Usually the contenders that faced me were more close to Hulk’s size. This would be quick then. The man was handsome, with sandy colored hair that was trimmed short. Two red lines of face paint went down one side of his face. Something about him seemed familiar, but I pushed that thought out of my head. I had to stay focused; I couldn’t lose. I had already angered the Grandmaster by sending my daughter away; if I were to lose to some contender…. I’d rather not think about it; I had seen what happened to those that got on his bad side.

The expected hush fell upon the crowd and I could feel the anticipation in the air; it was time. I pulled my daggers from my boots, turning them expertly in my hands, I doubt I’d even need to use my powers for this one. He stalked towards me with confidence in his gait, a shield in one hand and a mace in the shape of a baseball bat in the other.

“So you’re the ass I need to kick to return home”, he said, his smile betraying his confidence. Something about his voice sounded familiar, but I didn’t have time to think about that now. I simply returned his smile, not giving him a reply. His eyes fell to the daggers in my hand and I could tell he was comparing our weapons.

Before he looked back up I swiped at him with one of my daggers. He had apparently seen the attack coming and he rolled backwards out of the way before my blade could reach it’s mark. Leaving his shield laying in the dirt, he jumped to his, swiping at me with the mace. Using my daggers, I redirected the weapon away from me, knocking it from his grasp and onto the ground. He grabbed the exposed part of my wrists with both of his hands, holding them up into the air and squeezing them as tightly as he could. I released my daggers and swung my head forward.

My forehead connected with his nose with a sickening crunch noise. He released me, stepping back and clutching at his nose. Blood ran down his face, but not as much that would indicate that I did and significant damage. The contender wiped his nose on the back of his hand and he eyed the blood on his skin. His blue eyes flicked up to me, a brow raised in surprise.

Obviously he hadn’t expected me to even be able to hurt him, let alone beat him. I felt my power crackle to life within me, but I willed it back down. I would save that for the end, so he could see how he never even had a chance.

Before I could make another move against him, he ran at me, luning straight for me. He hit me with so much force that I felt the air leave my lungs. I was vaguely aware of even landing roughly on the dirt a few yards away, as I was still struggling to catch my breath back. My hair tumbled free as I felt the hood of my cloak fall to my shoulders. I glanced up at the contender, who was already back on his feet, but an expression of shock had seemingly frozen him in place. Blue energy blazed to life in my hands at my command as I stood to face him.

Just as I prepared to hit him with a blast of energy, he spoke, “Rayne?”  My energy vanished just as quickly as I had summoned it. The crowd had gone deathly silent, so quiet that I could hear his labored breathing.

I raised a brow, “Do I know you?”

His brows furrowed, “It’s Thor.” I narrowed my eyes, looking closely at his face beneath the face paint, blood, and dirt. He looked so different, and it had been so long since I saw him last.

“What the hell are you doing here?”

He smiled, that same smile that I had seen countless times before. “I could ask you the same.” The smile faded and he suddenly whipped his head up the Grandmaster’s box. I followed his line of sight. My heart felt as if it had suddenly stopped beating within my chest and it felt as if I had been drenched in ice-cold water. He was seated next to the Grandmaster himself, and he almost looked the same as the last time I had seen him. His black hair had gotten longer and his skin was still pale, but there seemed to be a healthy sheen to it now. Even from this distance, I could feel the intensity of his emerald green eyes as they raked over my form.

I tore my eyes from his gaze to look at Thor, “Is that him? He’s alive?” My voice trembled a bit as I spoke; I was struggling to keep the sudden onslaught of emotions within me. If he was alive, then it could only mean one thing; he had faked his death. He had been scared enough of becoming a father that he faked his death. I shook my head, there was no way he could be alive. He wouldn’t do this to me.

My eyes flicked over to the Grandmaster, who didn’t look happy. He gave a slight nod of my head, but I subtly shook mine. I wouldn’t fight Thor. I ignored the piercing gaze I could feel on me and turned my back on Thor, eager to exit the arena and go back to my room. I needed some time to think. The crowd began to boo as I walked towards my exit. I cried out as I felt the electricity surge through me, stopping me in my tracks. I hardly felt it as I fell to the dirt, writhing in agony as the volts coursed through me. Thor yelled from behind me, but an all too familiar roar sounded from my side of the arena and drowned out his voice. In front of me, the Hulk busted through the opening of the arena, sending stone and dust flying everywhere. The electricity continued to surge through me in full force, which meant the Grandmaster was pissed. I gritted my teeth, trying to ignore the searing pain all over my body.

“Stop!” I knew that voice. A wave of relief passed over me as the pain stopped. I looked up to the Grandmaster’s box to see Loki standing, his eyes showing equal amounts of concern and anger. The Grandmaster himself had an unreadable expression on his face as his eyes flicked back and forth between me and Loki. I could practically see the gears turning in his head. Everything around me began to darken and fade from view, and I slipped into unconsciousness.