chapter seven

CHAPTER SEVEN
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     SHE WOULDN'T  have believed anyone if they told her this is how things would turn out after everything that had happened last year

SHE WOULDN'T have believed anyone if they told her this is how things would turn out after everything that had happened last year. After trailing meat around all morning, Lexie, Dustin, and Steve had arrived at what appeared to be a scrapyard for old cars. Lexie didn't really want to know how Dustin had come to know about the place.

     "Oh, yeah. Yeah, this will do. This will do just fine," Steve said when they arrived, Lexie looking at him questioningly. He began to walk ahead of her and Dustin, and she watched her step carefully. It was hard to know if there would be any pieces of scrap metal sticking up from the ground. Judging from the look of the rusted cars scattered around her, it was better to be safe than sorry. "Good call, dude."

     Dustin smiled brightly and they finally dumped any remaining meat into a pile a little further into the yard. "I said medium well!" a very familiar voice called out from a little further away. Lexie looked up to find Lucas standing there next to a red haired girl that she had never seen before.

     "Who's that?" Steve asked, not recognizing the newcomer either. After Dustin failed to respond for a few seconds and simply stared at them approaching, Lexie gasped. Dustin hit her on the arm lightly and shook his head violently.

     "That's the girl!" Lexie exclaimed in a hushed tone and Steve smirked at her words.

     "Shut up Lexie! I'm begging you," he hushed, looking at her with a pleading expression. Lexie looked between him and this girl and smiled a knowing smile before nodding cheerfully.

     "Hey...Lexie? Steve?" Lucas greeted, definitely confused at their presence. Dustin simply shrugged at his questioning tone.

     "I don't think we've met," Lexie said to the red headed girl with a smile. "I'm Lexie, Emily's sister." Honestly, she wasn't sure if she had even met her sister, but it was worth a shot. She realized it was a shot well taken when she saw the recognition in the girl's eyes.

     "Max," she introduced.

     "Okay, let's get rolling," Steve said, pointing to an old school bus just a few feet behind them. "There is where we'll wait. We should do whatever we can to make sure that it can't get it." Lexie swallowed and nodded, all of them splitting up through the yard to find scraps of anything that might be useful.

     After some searching, she came up with quite a few sheets of metal that she was busy leaning up against the old bus. Quickly, they all worked to lean anything they could against it and board up the windows so that it couldn't get in through there.

     They shut the bus door behind them, effectively locking themselves inside. There was a small ladder leading to the roof of the bus where they could have a lookout in case it arrived, but Lexie just sat on the floor of the bus beside Steve.