chapter twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     LEXIE TAPPED HER FINGERS onto the desk nervously as she sat at the reception desk of the police station

LEXIE TAPPED HER FINGERS onto the desk nervously as she sat at the reception desk of the police station. It was a Saturday, so she was covering most of the day for Flo.

On the desk sat a newspaper that was still going on about everything that had transpired at the lab. It had been a month, officially, since everything had happened. But in a smaller town like Hawkins, news like that lasted for months. When something big happened, people never forgot because usually nothing else was worth talking about.

The lab was shut down and several officials were arrested for covering up the death of Barbara Holland, a girl who had gone missing the year previous. Lexie felt guilty because she had never really known her, she remembered her being close friends with Nancy Wheeler and that was about it. They were saying that she was exposed to some toxic chemical in the lab and that was the reason for it having to be shut down.

She wasn't sure how it made her feel, now that it was all neatly tied up. Well, maybe not neatly, but to everyone else it seemed like a random, tragic accident. Not everyone knew the truth. It was something she still thought about, something she could still hear in her dreams sometimes. But now they could go on with their lives and that was a good thing, she supposed.

"Hey, kid," Hopper's voice said from in front of her. She snapped out of her daze staring at the paper and smiled at him distractedly.

"Hey," she greeted quietly, folding up the newspaper and pushing it to the side to get her mind off of it.

Hopper beckoned her back to his office wordlessly and she followed him, closing the door just enough so that they wouldn't be overheard by anyone else.

"So? Is she going to be able to go?" Lexie asked, now smiling a bit wider as she was reminded of something a bit more lighthearted.

Hopper nodded. "Owens said that it should be fine. Kids don't ask a lot of questions," he explained, smiling a bit himself.

"I beg to differ," Lexie countered with a laugh, thinking of those particular kids and how they were questioning things constantly. "I'm glad El will get to go to the dance, though. I think they deserve a fun night like that."

There was a pause as Lexie looked at him, remembering how he had been before all this had started when she had just started to consider being an intern at the station. She had really had to convince him to let her do it, and he almost didn't at the time.